Audition or Pro Tools?

LDS

I've been using Cool Edit Pro for a long time now and just upgraded to Adobe Audition 3.0, and wow!!! What an improvement!!!

But...

My I/O is a little dated. I'm using a MOTU 2408 with the older PCI-324 card. I have no complaints about the way it works or the way it sounds, but it is no longer supported on newer operating systems.

I'm really digging Windows 7 on a new laptop we just acquired, and would really like to upgrade my DAW to a more powerful machine with 7 on it. In order to do so, I'll need to purchase an new PCI card in order to use the 2048. It's only a few hundred bucks, but that's set the wheels to turning.

Since Pro Tools is the de facto industry standard, would there be enough benefits derived from replacing the MOTU? The M-Audio Delta 1010 seems to be very similar to the 2408 as far as simultaneous I/O and other features go. And the Delta 1010 LT is even less expensive than the rackmount version, and would seem to work fine with my mixer's outputs (Alesis Studio 32). Of course the cost of Pro Tools would have to be factored in also. Or is there a better (affordable) multi-channel Pro Tools compatible interface out there worthy of consideration?

Just wondering if anyone had any advice or experiences they'd be willing to share on the subject? Any and all input would be highly appreciated.

Well the motu is a much better interface than any of those delta's to start. If you are doing fine with audition, I dont see any huge reason to switch

Well the motu is a much better interface than any of those delta's to start. If you are doing fine with audition, I dont see any huge reason to switch
Thanks! It's been a rock solid performer so far. Except for that trying to get it to work on Vista thing. It was nearly impossible and took forever to find the XP drivers for my latest motherboard. I fear that the next PC will be impossible.

If you think Cool Edit is the bee's knees, I have one word for you my friend:

Reaper.
I actually downloaded it last night and gave it a quick look. At first glance, it doesn't seem to have some of the features I like in Audition, but I probably just don't know how to get around in it well enough.

Back