Audition not recognizing mic

rkearns10

Hi Everyone,

So I'm having trouble getting audition to recognize my microphone signal and yielding any recording. I'm using a FocusRite Scarlett 18i8 in conjunction with my PC and a Shure SM7B mic.

I know the mic is working as on my FocusRite generic brand desktop mixer I'm getting a signal.. however, when I head into audition and attempt to record via a singular wavetrack I don't get any recording signal at all.

Yes, I've gone into preferences--Audio Hardware. But I'm guess something isn't right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'd just like to use this to start recording in Reaper and in audition for podcasts.

Thanks!

????! Who! And for what which are you using the mixer?!

Surely the 18i8 has enough connectivity? (tho' I am surprised it has only one set of outputs?).

Plug the mic directly into the AI, I cannot see any from the manual but I am sure there will be a LED somewhere to show signal presence? Then check there is a headphone signal via ZLMonitoring. If drivers and AA have been properly set you should have signals in the DAW. N.B. AA only shows input levels on its meters when you tell it to, at least that is the case for my AA1.5 copy.

If still no go post some shots of the setup.

Dave.

What version of Audition are you using?

...and I share ecc83's curiosity about what mixer you're using and why you need it.

By mixer I just mean the simulated software mixer that came with the install for the Focusrite. --- The mic is literally plugged straight into the AI, and the AI right into the computer.

The Shure is an SM7B so I turned the gain pretty much all the way up to get a decent signal. It is Audition CC.

Again the Focusrite mixer (digital) was showing a signal from the mic but I'm just not seeing anything in AA. -- Not even sure where to start. I have both the input and output in Audio Hardware preferences set to the Scarlett.

I have to say I have never liked Audition . . .but to me it sounds like a routing problem. If you see a signal in the software mixer, it means that it's coming through ok. So maybe you have armed a track for recording that is looking at the wrong input.

This is easy to do . . . for example, in Reaper, my default is when I create a new track it automatically selects track 1 as an input. Sometimes I forget this and plug something into the next track and wonder why I can't record!

A couple of hours ago I setup my 8i6 on this HP i3 laptop and configured it in AA 1.5.
Sure enough, in "record armed" mode the meters do not indicate but the AI is blinking when I tap the connected SM57. However, if I set AA to RECORD I get signal!

Cannot do more tonight but be at it again the morrow.

Dave.

I'd still be curious what version of Audition you're using since the set up has changed a fair bit in the more recent ones (since it was re-written for Mac).

However, things I'd be doing (assuming it's Audition CS6 or above):

-download and install the latest Focurite ASIO drivers.

-in Audition go to Edit/Preferences/Audio Hardware

-under device class select ASIO

-in the Default Input and Default Output drop downs, select the Focusrite inputs and outputs you want to use

-close the preferences screen and create a new multitrack session

-on the multitrack display, select the track you wish to record in. Go to the drop down input select menu (left end of the track, indicated by a right facing arrow. Note: if you have multiple tracks, you may need to expand the display to see the input drop down.

-on the input menu select the Focusrite source you want to use.

-arm the track for recording (click the red R, again in the box at the left end of the track).

-either do test recording or set the metering to be the input (Alt+I or right click the meter and select "monitor input")

At this stage it should be working--if you're not seeing an input, I suspect you'll have to adjust something on the Focusrite software mixer (which I have no experience of.

Note that I'm suggesting recording in Multitrack--this is always your best bet since it records direct to disk. Waveform view records to a temp file that needs to be saved later.

Plugged it all up again at 06:00 today and lo! The meter works in rec' pause.

I have had to re-install the complete package of driver and MixControl but I have not as yet launched MC so this is working with the default setting in Audition and the 8i6.

Dave.

Attachments

• AA setup.png
    AA setup.png
    130.8 KB · Views: 31
Dave, just FYI, if the OP has a more current version of Audition (and something he said about Preferences/Audio Hardware makes me suspect he does) then the routing/set up screens and menus are completely different. They changed after AA3 and there have been multiple versions since then.

Dave, just FYI, if the OP has a more current version of Audition (and something he said about Preferences/Audio Hardware makes me suspect he does) then the routing/set up screens and menus are completely different. They changed after AA3 and there have been multiple versions since then.

Oh sure Bob! I was just "testing the engine"! I can't think why I could not get a meter indication last night? Was a bit knackered tho' .

I hardly ever use AA 1.5 these days. My (well son's mostly!) main use was as an MP3 converter and the fact that it will play just about any kind of audio file format. MP3 conversion I now do with Samplitude Silver. But I do quite like AA and if they were to bring out a "lite" version for £50-80 I would buy a copy. Need to have a bit of MIDI tho!

Dave.

Back