Audition "4.0" Announced

I Recently got the new version of adobe and I have to say that I like adobe 3.0 a lot better. 4.0 has a few new things but they took away some features. I'm thinking about going to Protools.

I Recently got the new version of adobe and I have to say that I like adobe 3.0 a lot better. 4.0 has a few new things but they took away some features. I'm thinking about going to Protools.

You go. But just wait till Adobe 6 comes out. And then Adobe 7. And then Adobe 8.

In my days of having a day job, I used to have to use Protools at work--and never came to do any more than tolerate it. I much preferred the Cool Edit (now Audition) that I'd chosen for home use.

I decided not to buy Audition CS5.5....but I certainly won't be running to Pro Tools. I'll stick to AA3.01 until CS6.0 comes out.

...and, if I really needed something other than AA3, I'd probably save a pile of money and go the Reaper route. (This is more than academic with me...it's a race to see if CS6 is out before I have to do a computer upgrade. That upgrade will almost certainly be Windows 7 and 3.01 doesn't always "play nice" with Win7.)

Bob

I was joking lol I started with audition and I really like it. Im an ADOBE!

I'm exactly the same and it will take a huge 'stick in the eye with a blunt stick' before I move and thats because (for my purposes) every other daw just doesn't cut it to the same extent.

Now that doesn't mean I don't use Reaper for converting midi drum tracks (with EZ Drummer sounds) to wav or I don't use Vegas when I need to edit Video - I use the tools that help me do the job.

YMMV but CS5.5 is just so close and I do so want to use it more than I currently do but yes it is missing a couple of key things for me right now so I can't use it for all my projects from start to finish.

My guess is that Adobe are hearing the FCP X stuff up and issues with Presonus upgrades as well as PT and they won't be sitting back waiting 2 years for another upgrade.
IMO CS5.5 is just a msg saying that they haven't abandoned Audition but that this is a just a taste of things to come.

So IMO if CS5.5 doesn't suit then sure don't upgrade AA3 is no less useful than it was before CS5.5's release. I guess just knowing that Adobe are working as quickly as a big corporation can to get a much improved Audition to the market is keeping me a supporter at the moment.

IMO CS5.5 is just a msg saying that they haven't abandoned Audition but that this is a just a taste of things to come.

That's what I think too. I bought 5.5 so I can hit the ground running when 6.0 comes out. But I think you'll still need Reaper for the MIDI stuff.

(This is more than academic with me...it's a race to see if CS6 is out before I have to do a computer upgrade. That upgrade will almost certainly be Windows 7 and 3.01 doesn't always "play nice" with Win7.)

Bob, I'm using both 3.01 and 5.5 on Win 7 with no problems. The playing nice thing seems to depend more on what kind of machine you're running Win7 on rather than just on Win 7 itself.

I'm one of those people that have been following this program since the early CE days and it's done everything I've ever wanted it to. I record drums (or write them in Fruity Loops) and track guitar/bass/etc over it in the multi-track. Being an owner of an analog mixer (Mackie 32.8), I find the controls and workflow to be perfectly suited to such tasks. I assume this multitrack recording and wav editing(!) functionality still exists?

I would be devastated if I had to switch to another program. I've tried them all and none come close to matching the controls of a real mixer to the software version. And don't get me started on Pro Tools! What a horrible proprietary interface that is. I wasted hours learning that interface and wondered the whole time why anyone uses it. /rant

Additional features never really mattered to me, I never expected it to do everything. On the rare occasions I feel like working with midi, I use Reason.

What is this reaper everyone keeps talking about? I just googled it, but I'm wondering about actual user experience, quality of built in instruments, etc. I only ask because it's mentioned several times here..

Reaper rocks. It's cheap to buy into, and there are frequent upgrades by a small team of developers who care, plus an online forum community that's really helpful. The only reason I don't use it more is that I'm familiar with Audition and I really like it. But if Adobe keeps dicking around with upgrades like 5.5 that aren't really upgrades, I'll be really tempted to start using Reaper for everything. Right now I'm using Audition for everything except MIDI, which I do in Reaper, but it would almost make more sense for me to do everything in Reaper and use Audition 3.0 for noise reduction. It would be a smoother workflow and much cheaper overall.

All your basic editing and mixing functions are there. There's a specific list of functions (CD burning, Scientific filters, Clip grouping in multitrack, etc.) that didn't make it into CS5.5.

Durin, one of the developers and an all-round good guy, posted THIS LIST over in the Adobe forums along with the reasons some things are missing and what the future holds. Some of the missing things cause me real problems but at least they're being up front. My choice was to stay with 3.01 then probably go for CS6 when released. Others, with other priorities, have made the move.

On Reaper, they have a 28 day trial you can download. I tried that when I had fears about AA. It seemed pretty comprehensive but I didn't go through the learning curve I'd need to get really proficient--just stuck with what I had. Maybe downloading the trial and doing a project on it would answer your questions.

Bob

I agree with both Bobbsy & Dobro to a fair extent. I purchased Reaper and it is excellent value. However, I don't use it to record but only to convert midi drums using EZ Drummer.
You can pretty much throw anything at it and it will take it.
I don't particularly like the 'flexibility' of the menu systems, etc etc but others love it and good luck to them. I have no desire to 'get into' Reaper but might give it a go if I ever stopped using Audition.
Don't start me on PT - what a joke.

Back