AudioTechnica AT3035

slash5969

I'm considering this mic as an "entry-level" LDC, to be utilized primarily for vocals. I've got a basic home set-up - a Firepod and a PC. I've got a bunch of dynamics (57s and 58s), we use them in our live shows and they work well for micing guitars and drums, but we'd like to have something better to record vocals.

Does anyone have any experience with this mic, or recommendations for other LDC mics in this approximate price range?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

It's not nearly as boxy sounding and has a more brilliant top end. It has a pad & a roll off so you can mic closer as well. I had two 990's and I sold them both. Kept the 3035 though. The 3035 is more accurate sounding mic.
The 3035 is not great on everything but, on vocals it kicks the 990 all over the place. IMHO.

F.S.

Thank you for the replies, and especially for the links.

It's difficult to get any sort of consensus about anything as variable as a "good mic", and I understand that. Much of what is required is an ability to read between the lines, and I'd like to think that I'm improving in that aspect.

P.S. I'm getting the mic. :p

i have a friend who uses the 3035 for lots of vocals...and i mean LOTS

he has a bunch of other mics at his disposal, and almost always turns to that mic...it may be cheap, but it doesn't sound it

i have a friend who uses the 3035 for lots of vocals...and i mean LOTS

he has a bunch of other mics at his disposal, and almost always turns to that mic...it may be cheap, but it doesn't sound it

That's just it. The 990 sounds it's price. The 3035 sounds like a $300 to $400 dollar mic.

F.S.

Thank you for the replies, and especially for the links.

It's difficult to get any sort of consensus about anything as variable as a "good mic", and I understand that. Much of what is required is an ability to read between the lines, and I'd like to think that I'm improving in that aspect.

P.S. I'm getting the mic. :p

haha i think i am too..now that i know it is a lot better than the mic i was previously using.

I bought a 3035 and I hated it. It sounded like a can. of course I had an AT4050 to compare it to but I preferred my 57 on vocals. I sold that thing and never regretted it.

I bought a 3035 and I hated it. It sounded like a can. of course I had an AT4050 to compare it to but I preferred my 57 on vocals. I sold that thing and never regretted it.

Ever use a 990? All I can say is that I have recorded several vocal tracks with the 3035 and had to use little if any eq. If I did have to eq it I had no problems.

You do have to get used to it a bit though. It much prefers that the pad and roll off are on and you sing really close to it (pop filter of course).

Once I got used to that I never had an issue.

But, no one mic works for everyone or everything.

If I had a 4050 I would not regret selling my 3035 either:D I've been using a gt57 for vox and very happy with it.

F.S.

Last edited:
I prefer an SM57 on my own vocals as well....but I recently accuired an SM7 which I will try out very soon.....

but on to the 3035....I used to own one...and it had its place but I never really liked it much on vocals.....I like my Studio Projects C1 much better than the 3035 and it can be had for the same price. I think the 3035 is more versitile than the C1 though....My C1 pretty much only a vocal mic where the 3035 got used on bass cabs, guitar cabs and the occasional accoustic guitar and vocals very seldom.

To sum it up....if you are looking for a vocal mic, Id recommend the C1 over the 3035...but if you plan to mic other sources, the 3035 might be the better option...

Ever use a 990? All I can say is that I have recorded several vocal tracks with it and had to use little if any eq. If I did have to eq it I had no problems.

You do have to get used to it a bit though. It much prefers that the pad and roll off are on and you sing really close to it (pop filter of course).

Once I got used to that I never had an issue.

But, no one mic works for everyone or everything.

If I had a 4050 I would not regret selling my 3035 either:D I've been using a gt57 for vox and very happy with it.

F.S.

Yeah i really only ever get good vocal tracks if i sing really close...but i only have to turn the mid up a bit with the thing..but i think I'm still gonna move up to a 3035.

Yeah i really only ever get good vocal tracks if i sing really close...but i only have to turn the mid up a bit with the thing..but i think I'm still gonna move up to a 3035.

I also had a 990.....

what the hell was I thinking.........

you will hear a differance for the good with almost anything you choose....

Well..it was my first condenser mic...I didnt hold on to it very long....I never really recorded anything worth a damn with it....

oh! a quick note on the 3035...FWIW

i went to the sounds of the underground tour last month, and although i spent most of the night getting kicked around in the mosh pit, i squeezed my ass up against the rail while suicidal tendencies were playing, and noticed that both guitarists had their cabs mic'ed with 3035's

i also noticed that several of the bands that played earlier were using them for their OH's

I guess it's just one of those that alot of people like & some people don't.

I'd say the c1 is another good choice too.

F.S.

oh! a quick note on the 3035...FWIW

i went to the sounds of the underground tour last month, and although i spent most of the night getting kicked around in the mosh pit, i squeezed my ass up against the rail while suicidal tendencies were playing, and noticed that both guitarists had their cabs mic'ed with 3035's

i also noticed that several of the bands that played earlier were using them for their OH's
That is the only place I liked my 3035, it gave the bass cab more 'cab' with plenty bass. Not bad there.

I messed up, I was talking about the 3035. I think you'll like it alot compared to the 990. To me there are not even in the same ballpark.

F.S.

Back