Audiophile, Win XP, and Sonar?

Grotius

I am thinking about buying an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 for my PC, which is an Athlon 900 (Asus A7V, VIA KT133 chipset), 512M RAM, Windows XP Home, Sonar 2.0 XL. I appear to have several free IRQs (5, 7, 10, 11) and one free PCI slot. I only need to record one stereo track at a time, and that I do mostly via MIDI, so I don't seem to need a Delta 44 or 66 or 1010. I've searched this board and found many (mostly positive) comments about the Audiophile. My questions:

1. Does the Audiophile work with my CPU and chipset?

2. Apparently there are XP/WDM drivers available; are they stable? Do they work well?

3. Does the Audiophile work well with Sonar 2.0? In particular, does Sonar recognize it as a stereo card? (For MIDI, I know I'll have to use it in conjunction with a DXi like Live Synth Pro, but that's OK; I use that DXi anyway.)

4. I'd like to continue to use my Klipsch computer speakers with the SB Live, so I'll need a different set of monitors for my Audiophile. As it happens, I have a pair of big ol' 20-year-old speakers from my old college stereo set. The speakers only accept speaker wire -- er, a length of cable with the left and right wires stripped at the end. You stick the wires right into slots in the back of the speakers. Are those speakers usable, with the proper cabling, or is that a bad idea? I do have old computer speakers lying around that I could use instead.

Thanks!

audiophile good VIA bad!

Atholon and via chipsets with various music related cards have been known to have various issues involving hardware conflicts I used to record with a Layla echo 20 and when i instaled a new atholon motherboard with the via chipset vodoo happend i know for a fact that friends of mine have had simmaler problems with other makes and modles of soundcards i dont know it the audiophile tweaks wih the VIA as well but it would definatly be worth your wile to make sure before you go ahead with anything i do know there are "supposed" compatability drivers for the issue but aparently their quite useless

I have heard that about some VIA chipsets, but have also heard that the Audiophile has no problem with the KT133, the chipset on my board. Anyone else have a view on the compatibility of the Audiophile with an Athlon 900/VIA KT133, Win XP Home, Sonar 2.0?

Back