Audiophile soundcard suitable for gaming?

Herr Joachim

A friend of mine is into gaming, and is looking for a card that's
good for music listening and gaming as well. It's for a desktop pc.
He needs no mic inputs, though he felt an input feature of some new
creative card providing vinyl recording with noise reduction, was a
good idea. But most important is good sound and 3d sound processing.

Have a nice time.

So he does need a mic input? Why not just get a Creative card? If he doesn't want xlr inputs or trs, but wants 3d processing, then just get a Creative one.

Thanks for the suggestion.

The card costs about $400 here, and i figured
you would get something quite good sounding
for that money. I don't know how the creative
card sounds, but i don't associate creative with
good sound for some reason. Perhaps wrongfully
i expect an echo indigio to sound better, and that's
a lot cheaper.

I presonally like Turle Beach cards, and have found that they sound better, but that *could* just be a bias I have...... you may want to check them out.

I have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, which does me well for gaming.

I have a creative audigy2 card I use for gaming and movies and that serves me pretty nicely. I'm not sure about the newer ones though. From reading on their site, the new X-Fi cards seem to have a hell of a lot of bullshit attached to them. All these gimmicky promises such as "convert your 16bit cd's and mp3's into true 24bit to improve sound quality" and other such twisted truths really put me off them, because...well, they clearly don't know what the fuck they are talking about. Try checking ebay for an older Audigy or Audigy2 card. Something with EAX.

Used to use a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz...pretty nice card IMO. I'd trust Turtle Beach cards. This was my first card I used when I got into PC recording, and I have fond memories of it. Turtle Beach has a card called Montego which looks to be a good card.

I really liked the Audiophile 24/96 I used to have too, so I imagine the M-Audio Revolution card would be a good purchase too. Doesn't look like a ton of marketing BS to cut through when looking at the M-audio site - just looks to be a good card at a good price if you are a gamer and need 3D support, or just want great quality audio.

Thanks for your responses.
I think the m-audio might be a good solution.
I'll pass the advice along to my friend.

Have a nice weekend.

legionserial said:
I have a creative audigy2 card I use for gaming and movies and that serves me pretty nicely. I'm not sure about the newer ones though. From reading on their site, the new X-Fi cards seem to have a hell of a lot of bullshit attached to them. All these gimmicky promises such as "convert your 16bit cd's and mp3's into true 24bit to improve sound quality" and other such twisted truths really put me off them, because...well, they clearly don't know what the fuck they are talking about. Try checking ebay for an older Audigy or Audigy2 card. Something with EAX.

The Audigy 2 cards upsample 16bit to 24bit. The new X-Fi's actually have full 24 bit. My friend is one of the designers, met him while working at a computer shop. Told me all the rumors of upsampling were true but the new X-Fi's offer true 24 bit without having to upsampling

I have the M-Audio Revolution right now. And yea, it does pretty damn good for its price. It has pretty decent A/D/A converters, and comes in both 7.1 and 5.1 surround versions. I like the customization options that the control panel offers.

M-Audio really does make kick-ass products for the price they're selling them for. I'm planning on upgrading this Revolution with something a bit more recording oriented, probably just the Audiophile 2496 since I don't need more than 2 inputs.

Back