Audiophile + KT133

sonnylarsen

I just got the Audiophile, but when I record it has the horrible jittering. This is my system:

AMD Athlon 900mhz
448 megs RAM
MOBO Chipset : Via KT133
XP Pro

I really need some sort of guide or faq to tell me how to get this setup to work. I have installed the newest 4in1 drivers, and the newest Audiophile Drivers. I have no idea what else to do. If I had known of the issues w/ the VIA chipset, I would have just held off until I could upgrade my mobo, but I didn't. Has anyone been able to make this work?

(Ironically, I used my old SBLive with no problems on this mobo. *sigh*)

Sonny

relax... I am sure the problem can be fixed.

Try adjust the buffer size.

Also, I can only get my Audiophile working properly after I installed an older driver from their site...

I can't remember, but the driver version ends with .27

You might wanna try that. good luck!

I just cleaned up an old desktop from my last xp install. I had a hardware disaster and had to revert from a 133a chipset to an old 133 I had lying around. The old desktop still had all these wpcredt files lying around, a 4 in 1 directory, some latency patch blah blah blah, all the crap I struggled through to solve the problem. Man am I ever glad that is over. Things may not be perfect now but that was a nightmare. I bought a new board.

I'm still hodling my breath even after a month or so with a different mobo, afraid that if I relax the pops and clicks will return.

Doug

OK, upping the buffer in the Delta Control Panel helped, but I still get snapcracklepop while recording. More help pleeease.

I saw someone's post about WPCREDIT, but it is way over my head. I have no idea what to do with that program.

sonnylarsen said:
OK, upping the buffer in the Delta Control Panel helped, but I still get snapcracklepop while recording. More help pleeease.

Please try the older driver option... I think that will do the trick. :)

I have now tried both .26 and .27 . . .

I actually started with .27, and so I uninstalled and went with .26

That made it worse so I uninstalled and went back to .27 . . .

What version of the Via 4in1 driver should I use? I have 4.46 now, the newest I could find. I honestly am wondering if new drivers will do this. I may have to go back to SBLive and shelve the Audiophile until I can upgrade my mobo/cpu.

Sonny

i had problems with my kt133 chipset and i fixed it by flashing my bios.

Now it wasn't a problem with soundcards so i don't know, but many of the old kt133 issues were fixed by doing this.
I went to my motherboard manufactureres website and downloaded the program to flash my bios. Loaded it on a floppy disk. restarted a booted from the disk, and flashed the bios.

now this is risky. You are deleting softwear on the mother board, and updating it with new stuff. So if say your computer crashes half way though, your mother board is toast. It's actually physically in the mother board, not on your hard drive.

This is a known problem with that via mobo and pro low-latency cards. There is a fix, but the web site hosting it moves around.
The fix is a little prog that runs on Windows boot and changes some of the via bios settings - very esoteric ones not usually available in the bios set up screens. Try a google search for something like Breese via pci latency patch .
The creators name is George Breese and it can solve the crackles for most via mobo except the latest kt400 which doesn't seem to have the problem anyway.
Even then it can't work miracles. Not all pci slots are suitable - the middle ones work best for soundcards and you should turn off windows interuptions like virus scans, screensavers and CD auto insert notification (auto play) no matter what spec your pc is.
With all that sorted, you ought to be able to work happily with the delta cards buffer at 256 samples - 512 at worse. I've used a kt133a in the past and the Breese patch was definately needed with my audiophile - so far my current kt400 board has been flawless.
Jim.

OK, I got the patch and applied it. I also moved my card into the middle PCI slot. The problem did not go away. It is driving me crazy. Damn Via Technologies. Damn them. I probably have the one version of their chipset that can't be fixed. Factor in the fact that God hates me and you will see how screwed I am.

Sonny

You could get a KT266a mobo - should be cheap by now. I think there's also some kt333 mobos which will take the older type ram sticks you probably have - the 333 is regarded as the first via athlon board to be hassle free for recording.
The kt133 was rapidly replaced by the kt133a 'cause the 133 was crap. These early via athlon mobos had another problem which may be causing you grief - they did not properly support the ACPI pci control properly and XP uses this system by default. This controls how devices are dealt with when they are interupting for attention. In any case, you have probably got irq sharing going on between the soundcard and something else. Have a look at. www.musicxp.net for some tuning tips. It looks like you will have to disable as many unused devices (like serial and parallel ports, on board game and sound) in the bios and reinstall XP with ACPI disabled. Early via USB controllers were another source of trouble and they often had to be disabled and another brand pci card usb adapter used instead.
If you really hate via, do you realise that the ENVY24 chip on your audiophile card is also a via product?
Oh yeh, don't change the delta buffer while your recording prog is open. What are you recording into?

VIA chipset -Audiophile

My first Audiophile install was a nightmare - what I did to correct was to start over from scratch and made my XP "leaner and meaner" - the second install went fine - by the way I am using the KT266 chipset with my Athalon as one of the posts mentioned - all works fine - I did download the latest 4in1 VIA drivers (I can't remember if I did this beofre I installed the second time or not- I wish I could) - I think Jim Y is accurate get the 266a mobo - and keep it simple - best wishes - I know it is frustrating

I use SONAR primarily to record. My PC is already setup as a Standard PC, (No ACPI) and IRQ Steering is disabled. There are no hardware sharing resources. I am at my wits end with this. I have done all that I know to do.

With Sonar you must run the soundcard profiler (under options/audio) after making a change to the delta buffer. Pull the latency slider hard left (minimum) before running the profiler. I would suggest a 512 buffer to start with. Also check the Audiophile is Sonars playback and record timing master and disable all but the "multichannel" drivers. So you just have 1/2 (analog in), 3/4 (s/pdif in) and 5/6 (monitor mixer) input choices with 1/2 (analog out) and 3/4 (s/pdif out) outputs.

Although it won't cause jitters, the .26 and .27 drivers have a bug that will affect Sonar - tracks record a bit later than they should. The best driver so far (I have found) is listed as a BETA and its the .29x12 one. You can find it on the m-audio/midiman driver page by ticking the "show previous and beta" option on the search screen.
It is important to run the delta uninstaller before installing the new driver and this is included in the .29 driver download. Of course, if you have upgraded Sonar to 2.2, you can use the ASIO driver option and the .27 driver is ok on ASIO.

If none of this works, including the XP tweaks (some of those really are essential) then the kt133 probably will have to go.
I'm pretty sure you can still find kt266 and kt333 mobos of the upgrade type. They have memory slots for the older pc100/133 dimms and the newer pc266/333 and also support your older (but perfectly capable) Athlon900.
For the record my current set up (KT400, Athlon1800XP, WinXP, Sonar with Audiophile and .29x12 driver) is working fine with ACPI enabled - only the basic XP tweaks were required. The delta buffer is at a conservative 256 giving 5.6ms latency on 44.1khz recordings. My previous setup (KT133a, Duron750) required everything we've mentioned to get clean recordings (which is actually THE most difficult task a pc can be asked to do).

One other thing - some video cards (and on-board graphics chips) can cause problems too. Sorry it's so frustrating - I've been there ;)

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

Thanks to everyone for your advice on this. I finally got a clean recording at 24/44.1 by adding the 29beta driver. I don't know if this will carry through up to 96 khz, but I will not be recording that far above human ability to hear so I'm good. I am also going to buy a new motherboard and processor, because now I am paranoid. i think I'm gonna for a Gigabyte mobo with an intel chipset and a P4 1.8 ghz.

Also I got very little help from Via and M-audio. They just responded today to my email, with less advice than I was given here. I am so glad to be a member of the BBS.

Sonny

Back