Audiophile 2496 vs USB Audio Interface

bluetrane0323

Hi,

Just getting started picking gear to record acoustic guitar and vocals (for starters). I would like to be able to use my laptop to record the base tracks, but sound quality is very important to me. Would really appreciate input on whether an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 is significantly better for sound quality than a USB audio interface (at a reasonable price)? If you think a USB interface is as good or so close that it is barely audible, would you please let me know how to select a good USB interface (i.e. kHz of converters) and if you have any recommendations?

Thanks a lot

If you're new-ish to recording, the general advice here is that you'll get better bang for your spending buck in just about any other aspect than your interface - ie. instrument, microphoneo, room treatment, decent monitors...

Depending upon what other things you have / have done, I'd suggest that your relatively simple Focusrite / Tascam / Presonus type interfaces are probably a good starting point, rather than anything further up the chain.

I use a M-Audio Audiophile 2496. They're really good for the price and for what they can do. Obviously it has to go into a PCI slot on a desktop PC. You can't plug it in to a laptop. I have 2 preamps running through mine (Studio Projects VTB1 & Alesis Mictube), left and right. Does what I want it to do with regards to recording mono and stereo, when needed.

I also use a Tascam US-800 USB interface when I need more inputs, for drums, mobile recording, etc. It's pretty solid, good drivers, good pres and a good sound all round.

Is the Tascam better than the M-Audio? It's easier because it's all in one and you don't need additions preamps like you do with the M-Audio. Quality wise I would put them on par with each other although I have a lot more recording experience with the M-Audio as I only use the Tascam when I need to. Each to their own regarding workflow, etc.

I'm sure others will be along with recommendations shortly. :thumbs up:

Hey,

Thanks for your response. I do already own an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 though. It's just a matter of portability for me. Should I go the extra mile and lug my desktop around to get the better sound or you think a laptop with one of the USB audio interfaces you suggest would get me such good quality that most people won't notice the difference?

Thanks

Hey,

Thanks for your response. I do already own an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 though. It's just a matter of portability for me. Should I go the extra mile and lug my desktop around to get the better sound or you think a laptop with one of the USB audio interfaces you suggest would get me such good quality that most people won't notice the difference?

Thanks

The difference would be more in the pre-amp(s). If your running Neve, API, or equal quality preamps into your 2496, It will sound better than the pro-sumer USB interfaces by Focusrite, Steinberg, etc. (What preamps are you running now?)

Also latency is better on a (2496) PCI card than USB if that's a concern for you.

Many people are making fine recordings with USB interfaces. I've used both Focusrite and Steinberg UR22, they both sound great.

Hi PDP. Thanks for your response. I was planning on using the pre-amps with my Macke 1202 VLZ Pro. Not sure that if that is a good call. Please let me know what you think.

Other Good Stuff to Know About My Gear:

Microphones: AKG C214/RODE NT5
Mixer/Pre-Amp: Macke 1202 VLZ Pro
Recording Software: Cakewalk

Hi PDP. Thanks for your response. I was planning on using the pre-amps with my Macke 1202 VLZ Pro. Not sure that if that is a good call. Please let me know what you think.

Other Good Stuff to Know About My Gear:

Microphones: AKG C214/RODE NT5
Mixer/Pre-Amp: Macke 1202 VLZ Pro
Recording Software: Cakewalk

Ok cool, then a USB interface will match the quality of the Mackie into the 2496, so you can go either way you decide and the quality will be good.

Back