Audiophile 2496 to E-mu 1212m - upgrade or headache?

Mountainmirrors

kaleidoscopic renegade
I'm considering giving the E-mu 1212m card a go, after using the Audiophile 2496 for a few years.
I guess I'm falling for the hype...do you guys agree this is a worthwhile upgrade - or is it just a can of worms? I know the E-mu stuff has a reputation of being new and a little "buggy", while M-Audio is rock solid.
Something is telling me, "It's better the devil you know than the one you don't." - but at the same time, many people say the E-mu is the card to beat nowadays...Anyone?

Can't see the point of that upgrade myself. At $200 it's still only a 2 in 2 out card.

I don't know if you need more in/outputs, but for $150 you could get a Delta 44, ram it in there beside your 2496 and you've got a 6 in, 6 out rig

I recently took out an Audiophile and replaced it with an Emu 1820...no problem in my Intel 845 based machine. There's nothing wrong with the M-audio stuff...just wasn't as good to me as my E-mu is right now...

...but I agree with the last reply. I think it might be better for you to grab another Delta to bump up your capability. About the only reason I can think for getting an E-mu to replace it would be if you had ADAT gear. An audiophile to a 1212M ain't much of an upgrade unless you need ADAT...and there are significant downgrades you might come across...like no GSIF, poor WDM, etc... (search for earlier relevant posts!)

I don't think the only reason to upgrade to an E-MU is if you have ADAT gear. My 0404 and 1212M are leagues ahead of my old Audiophile 2496 in both quality of sound recording and sound reproduction. Of course, someone who has a 2496 should not feel compelled to run out and buy an E-MU. I have always believed in making the most of whatever gear you have. Still, if one feels that they are in need of a higher quality card and have the cash to spare, you cannot beat the value of the E-MU 0404 or 1212M at this point in time.

Will the EMU 0404 work with SONAR3?

I read the review, and like what I saw. But am scared to buy the card when the reviewer admits that the drivers are newly developed.

Also, the reviewer wrote about using this card with Cubase.

So, what about SONAR users? Would there be an issues for us?

although i'm not sure, i doubt there woud be a problem. E-mU has good ASIO drivers apparently and sonar supports asio.

Back