audiophile 2496 dilemma

stecel

Ok this is my huge dilemma.

About a year ago I decided to plunge into home recording. I bought some stuff, and I picked the Audiophile 2496 as my card. I love the card and am glad that I made that choice. Anyway, I never thought i'd want to record live drums, but now I want to, and there is only like 2 inputs on the card. Are there any ways I can record multiple tracks with this card?

if not what is a good approach to take? I am gonna need to change my rig I guess.

Yes u can record up to four tracks at once with the Audiophile but to do that u would need an external a/d unit to feed 2 channels into the sp.dif input.

A lot of people are perfectly happy recording drums with a pair of overhead mics and to do that all u need is a small twin mic. pre like maudio supply and away u go.

I personally would buy a small mixer with 4-8 mono mic inputs and spend some time just learning to use the kit. For suitable mics, position of such etc. just go to the mic forum.
The small mixer makes it much easier to monitor your recordings for the overdubs etc (and the usually have a good headphone amp built in) .

Once you have laid down the drum track everything else, vocals etc. can be added later just use a multitrack software program i.e.
cool edit pro. sonar, etc.

Tony

If i do that with the mixer, the whole drum mix would be on one channel, which kinda sucks.

I am looking on the maudio site for the thing that will let you record 4 seperate tracks at once.... what exactly piece of equipment is it?? so if I understand correctly, with this I could record 4 tracks seperate into nuendo or cool edit?

stecel said:
If i do that with the mixer, the whole drum mix would be on one channel, which kinda sucks.

Not quite sure how you work this one out. Or did you think I meant a mono mixer?

The mics are panned left & right according to your requirements and you have your stereo image which is recorded on your 2 analogue inputs.

Back