Audiophile 2496 and spdif in problem

quarx

Hi,

I have a problem. I still use my old Roland Fantom to record sounds to my computer, using an audiophile 2496 soundcard. I use the consumer spdif (rca) out on roland and spdif in on the audiophile. The problem is that the signal coming to the computer sounds somehow low (if I set the gain out on roland to +6 or +12, I get glitches out of the speakers).

How should I do my recording process; should I record each instrument from roland separately at high volume and then mix them together on the computer; or leave the signal low and boost it then in the computer using virtual amplifiers?

what am I doing wrong here... i really dont know..

thanks!
quarx

How low is low? If they are coming in at around -60, then yes you have a problem. But I think this is more a question about using your Fantom, than using the Audiophile.

hi, no it is not that low. it is like -12. but anyway, when I record it at 0 or +6, i get some clicks (too loud) in my computer. and also later in mixing, when I put all the tracks together, it starts clicking - here I am doing something wrong probably, but dont know what? I dont know how to increase the mixdown volume and at the same time avoid clicking... is this a frequency issue, or what? which tools should i use here...?

thanks very much in advance!
quarx

quarx said:
hi, no it is not that low. it is like -12.
That is actually pretty normal, give or take a dB or two. Remember that the digital meter on your computer software is reading the signal on the dbFS scale, not the VU scale used in analog. A 0VU/+4dBu (line level) signal in analog goes into your A/D converter and, depending upon the exact factory calibration of that make/model of converter, comes out at anywhere between -22dBFS to -12dBFS on the digital side. This is normal, and how it's supposed to be.

Just make sure you're sending good non-clipping and non-distorting levels into the 2496 and let it do it's conversion to digital naturally without any further boost or cut, and you'll be just fine, with enough headroom for plugs and mixing. Wait for your mixdown before you worry about the overall volume.

G.

thank you very much for your answer. so to conclude: it is normal, that the sound I record is not that loud as it is on the commercial CDs..?

Could someone please explain me how to increase the overall mixdown volume at the end (after mixing)? Which plugins/tools should I use for that (software), and which settings should I use so that the volume would be high, but without clicking or popping? Should I do something with adjusting frequencies to avoid that or is it some other tool, procedure? Could you recommend me a tutorial that deals with these questions/issues?

thanks,
Quarx

Back