audiophile 24/96 worth it?

undergroundtoon

I have a Tascam FW-1082 that i am using as my sound card(On my current PC i have the internal sound on the motherboard unplugged). I am in the process of building another recording only pc. I was thinking of using a M-Audio 24/96 pci card in it, BUT when i record and playback i would not even use the 24/96(longer chain=more latency right?). Or will it connect to the coaxial in and out on the back of the 1082 into the 24/96(plus firewire). does this make the firewire just control the 1082 and computer(move a slider on one it moves on the other) making the in and out send and receive the audio you record. When you use a mixer, you use a line in and line out to a pci soundcard (as the same way a midi signal has in and out). I guess i never understood why i just used one firewire only. I thought In and Out was seprate so the signals do not cross? is my sound quality going to improve if i do this setup(if it even is one)? I am confused :confused: and its not the first or last time. :D

Last edited:
I don't really understand what you're asking/trying to achieve but the bottom line is that adding that card to your setup will not improve your sound.

It's a decent card don't get me wrong but it wouldn't be any better than the converters in the Tascam (which I use too). I'm not entirely sure that you could incorporate it into your setup anyway (ie. use the audiophile for A-D/D-A and use the tascam just as a control surface).

I did not know if i would get better sound using a dedicated internal soundcard (i know you cannot use 2 at once). I would like to have sound for this computer without the tascam turnned on and audio imported in audacity -lol-. On this computer i will need sound in windows media player too(i am a animator making a cartoon).

MY THINKING:
Since i pick my soundcard source in my recording program it will not hurt (dont flame me) if i get a cheap soundblaster card then. At the same time if i am spending $100 why not get a 24/96. Now you see why i posted this. I thought hmmm why not get one thats good for recording too. HMM Maby i could use it in my recording chain so i dont need to switch the source. (its hard being coherent at 4:30 a.m.)

It sounds like too much work(and maby impossible)Thanks for the help kevin :)

Last edited:
I think I get it, yes you can use two different soundcards and switch between the two depending on what you're doing.

To be honest if it's just for playback in Windows movie player I'd try activating your onboard sound and see how you get on with that. I use onboard sound for watching films and stuff on my PC so i don't have to turn on the Tascam.

I'm pretty sure you can't use the 2496 and the Tascam at the same time for recording though and like I said even if you could there would be no benefit that I can see.

I will give my onboard a shot first thru my klipsch 2.1 pro media's. I dont want to switch my tascam and yamaha 50m's on and off every time i need sound. I thought if it was possible to get it set up to not mess with settings and just use the 24/96 for both it would be worth it. looks like i am going to play with settings everytime thou anyway you look at it. If the onboard sound works good enough i will skip the 24/96 pocket the $100 and live with my pet peeve of switching settings.

so what are the coaxial in and out for on the back of the tascam? My original question was pondering why everything else has 2 cords (in and out) and fire wire is only one. I would think it would slow it down sending and receiving at the same time. GOD I AM READY FOR BED.....GOODNIGHT :p

Last edited:
Back