Audio/Video recording question

CovenantKeeper

I'm trying to do simultaneous recording of audio & video for our home fellowship (sermons & studies only, at this point). I'd like to be able to use a single wireless lavalier (lapel) mic to feed the audio for both the audio cassette and the video. I've got a Sky SMD-788 wireless lavalier clip-on microphone w/transmitter and receiver, a Canon Hi-8 video camera, and a Sony audio cassette deck. When I plug the Sky receiver into the Hi-8 external mic input jack, the sound is great. When I try to run the Sky receiver into a 4-channel mixer, then split the audio out to my cassette deck and the Hi-8 mic input, the sound in the Hi-8 is very distorted. The Canon manual says that it's got to be a 600 Ohm impedance going into the camera, so I know that's the problem.

My question is, how do I do this? BTW - the Sky receiver impedance is 600 ohm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Perhaps off base, but...

Is the output you're using on the mixer at 600 ohms? If it's in the 10K range (HiZ), that could be an issue. Does your mixer have low-z (low impedance; 600 ohms is a low-z impedance) outputs? If not, Radio Shack sells adapter/transformers that can help with that, if that's the case.

Also, is the *output* of the Sky at 600 ohms? You might be running it into a hi-z input. Or if the output of the Sky is hi-z, you might be running it through a low-z input.

esactun,
Thanks for the fast response. The mixer is a Radio Shack model that I borrowed from a friend (obviously, we're pretty lo-tech right now). I believe the outputs on it are all Hi-z. Not sure about the inputs. I'll have to check that. The Sky receiver output is 600 ohm. I'll also have to check into the adapter suggestion - might be what I need to do.

foreverain4,
Good idea - I thought of that after I posted, but I'll have to check what kind of outputs our camera's got. I believe it's just a single A/V jack. I've got the cable for it that splits out to Left/Right/Video lines, so I should be able to make that work. Thanks.

I think impedance isn't as much of your problem as level. You're taking an output from your mixer, which is likely a line level out, into an external MICROPHONE input on the camera. I've tried to send feeds to home video buffs from stage sound several times, and always needed at least a 20 dB pad. Mic levels usually run from -60 to -40 dB, while line levels run at least -30, usually -10 on consumer stuff.

If you still want to feed the sound the way you stated originally, Radio Shack sells a small adapter with an attenuator built in. The one I'm thinking of is red, and uses mini plugs. I have 2 or 3 of them in my adaptor drawers. If I remember correctly, they are either 20 or 30 dB.

Connecting per foreverain4's plan seems like the better way to me too... Steve

Back