Audio Technica Pro 25

alexthacowboy

i find them new at 50 each, thinking in buying 3, but anyone have a real experiance with them?

or wich toms mics? i'm looking for budget, i already have a nice mics, but sometimes i dont want to put my 421's when i do a budget record for a newbie band.

was thinking prolly RED5 drum package, or 3 beta 56.

thanks

alexthacowboy said:
i find them new at 50 each, thinking in buying 3, but anyone have a real experiance with them?

or wich toms mics? i'm looking for budget, i already have a nice mics, but sometimes i dont want to put my 421's when i do a budget record for a newbie band.

was thinking prolly RED5 drum package, or 3 beta 56.

thanks

if you're finding them new at $50 each, you have better keep your mouth shut, and buy every one you can - because thye've been "discontinued" from what I've heard. (They renumbered them, and uppedthe price on them.)

They are great mic's - I've got a handfull of them myself.

They are killer for guitar, bass guitar, live vocals, snare, toms, and kicks.

Anything you'd use a 57 on, these will do a better job. That's just been my experience from years of using both.

Tim

Last edited:
I just did a session last night and they had the 25's on everything but overheads (which were Earthworks) - those 25's kick butt!!!!

Yes DO!
I have been using the 1 I have on snare and it sounds better than the sm57 on it PLUS it has the advantage of being smaller and easier to place.

I want a few.

Tom

Hey not to totally change the subject but which one of those is better for the kick? The ATM Pro 25 or the ATM-25?

I paid $119/ea for PRO25's in 1995 from Musicians Friend. I'd buy as many as I could for that $50 price. I love the $300± AKG and Shure kick mics, but for $50 the PRO25 is mucho bang-for-the-buck! I never tried them for snare and toms, but if they're "better than 57's" buy 'em out! One thing's sure: The PRO25's, since made for kicks, handle extreme SPL's...

I've got one that I use on my floor tom.

I don't really like it that much. It requires a lot more gain than my e604's and doesn't have as much power...you end up having to EQ it a lot more than the e604's and it still doesn't sound natural or interesting. It's not worth selling, though, as I've got the rebadged Digital Reference version which is the same thing but I couldn't give it away if I wanted.

I might try it on snare, but I've already got the M201...

Still hoping to try an ATM 25 though, that might do the trick...

i forgot how much i liked mine until i bought a d-112 for kick. it wasnt a change that made me go "wow" for the akg, though i was wowed by the pro25 on floor tom and snare... very good stuff.

i really can't stand the pro-25. weak and anemic sounding, IMO. one of the worst "kick mics" i've ever used. clipped easily, too.

the ATM-25 is a completely different animal and worth it IMO.......let's be sure we're talking about the same mic here--there's a considerable difference between the two. :D

cheers,
wade

i' asked for Pro25.

and my intention never was tu use as kick mic, i ask for a toms-snare budget pack, since i already have some nice mics, or even at recording i prolly dont use toms mics.

but i want a mic that can handle drums (toms) when i need to do on budget, as i said, i'm sure u dont wanna put your expensive mics when u doing a budget record for a newbie band and c the drummer hitting your mics every time.

i order 4, for 160 dollars, hope my order clears since still procesing order status.

for people who are looking at cheap kick mic, for me blue Kickball at 120 is great, or do a search on ebay for red5 mics, they have a kick mic cheap and looks that have some great reviews.

beyer m88 is killer on kick .

FWIW, Harvey Gerst recommends the Pro 25 for floor toms. He's far more experienced than I am. I think they'd make excellent tom mics at that price.

That being said, in my experience, if you were paying above $75 per mic (i.e. $225 or more for the set), I'd save up a bit more and get the 3-pack of Senn's e604's...they sound much better IN MY OPINION.

I still do want an AT 25 (the big ones). Sounds like they'd be at least somewhat similar to Sennheiser MD421's and they go used for under $100. Supposed to be killer on kick and floor tom...

i got mine at 8thstreet.com

i got 4 bstock full warranty at 39.99 each,they have brandnew at 59. and AT wireless guitar system 127g pro at 80 free shipping is on clearence too.

my order still processing status, but they already remove the bstock, so i guess is cuz my order.

alexthacowboy said:
i got mine at 8thstreet.com

i got 4 bstock full warranty at 39.99 each,they have brandnew at 59. and AT wireless guitar system 127g pro at 80 free shipping is on clearence too.

my order still processing status, but they already remove the bstock, so i guess is cuz my order.

There's nothing wrong with B stock. It just means it's been a "floor model" or has been used in a trade show, or soemthing like that. They are still brand new mic's, and come with a full warranty.

This is where I saw them for $40 as well.

I'm surprised they still have any of them.

I bought quite a few of them as bulk packs (Packs of 3 - no mic cases or cables, wrapped in bubble wrap) a few years ago through 8th. Street.

Tim

yeah, 40 is a nice deal.

i saw the at 25 pro go at 60 + shipping on ebay, so 4 for 160 free shipping is a nice deal , i hope they complete the transaction.

Back