Audio Technica AT 2020 or Behringer B-2 Pro

normington

Hi,

I'm getting a new large diaphragm mic, and I think I've narrowed it down to two options. A lot of people on here rave about the AT 2020 and it's on eBay for £65. However I've also heard that the Behringer B-2 Pro is a pretty decent mic for the price, and I'm being offered one (lightly used) for £60, which is at least a £40 discount on it's normal minimum price!

We do have a B-2 at school, which I intend to try against a couple of other mics that we have there (eg Rode NT1000, SE Electronics Gemini), before I buy it for myself. But until then I want to know what any of you guys think?

The B-2 is (normally) a fair bit more expensive than the AT 2020, but does that mean the B-2 is better? (being a Behringer...)

Thanks,

Andy

Can't comment on the B2, but I've never used any Behringer gear that I liked at all.

The AT2020 on the other hand is a very decent-sounding mic at a steal of a price. I use mine on percussion and ac gats with nice results, although it can be honky on some voices.

I had both of these mics, sold the 2020...the behringer is a great mic nomatter what you might here..The 2020 was to brittle on the hi end!!!

Just get the b2 pro..you will not regtet it unless you let people decide what sounds good to you!!!!!!:D

I use it on ac guitar in omni...sounds good and full!!!

Despite the bad rap Behringer gets, the B2-Pro is a good all around LDC mic...it's built by 797audio, the same company that manufactures all of Studio Projects mics...good capsule and multi-patterns...definately a much better mic than the 2020...;)

Sounds great then :)

I still hope to test it at school first against a cheaper mic and some more expensive ones, see what it sounds like, but I think I'm pretty set on it. Thanks guys!

Have a AT2020 too. Nice vocal mic, but the Studio Projects B1 is smoother sounding IMHO.

The modest bit of "graininess" on the AT2020 could be handy for stuff like R&B I suppose.

Chris

I wouldn't describe the AT2020 as brittle. It is, however, somewhat bright. It's a small diaphragm condenser, though, not a large diaphragm, and most people buy it thinking it will be good for voice; it really isn't. It is for vocals roughly what a Shure SM81 is for vocals---usable, but hardly ideal. Agreed with Chessparov that the SP B1 would probably be a better choice, at least judging from my B3. Still nowhere near my favorite cheap vocal mic, but a much better choice than the AT2020.

The AT2020 good for instrument work---anywhere you might use any other SDC. If it seems too bright, add a little treble cut with a wide Q centered at 10kHz or so, then bring up the bass if needed for the particular instrument.

By contrast, the Behringer B-2 has a 1" diaphragm, making it a true LDC. Whether it's a good LDC or not is another question; I have no opinion on that. At any rate, it would probably be more suitable for vocals than an AT2020 would be merely because it is a true LDC.

Id usaually say the at2020..
not heard the b2 i have a begringer c3 and its great for my voice, i prefer it over the at2020 which i used to have. £45 new fotr the c3

I got a used M-audio Nova yesterday for pretty cheap. I don't have much experience in this sub-$100 LDC category, but I like it a lot better than my MXL-2001 and a little better than my Apex 430 -- it has a different circuit from either of those. Not as bright sounding. Seems like it might have a lower max SPL rating than you tend to see, but I don't think that would be a problem for most home recording tasks, and I'm seeing them for $50 on ebay. I opened it up and didn't see any obviously poor components, either.

That said, I doubt I'll be using it very much, and I think it's better to get a nicer mic used, maybe even still staying in budget. I like the Oktava MK-319 better than any of those, for instance (provided it's not a dud -- but even dud's can be modified into great mics, in my experience).

I have the AT 2020 and it's excellent for instruments. Sounds really nice on my Acoustic. However, maybe not the best for vocals - Def still useable though.

I'd say get the AT2020 then save for a good vocal mic.

Back