Audio Over LAN

technominds

Hey guys!

I've done a ton of research into this, but i'm hoping someone will tell me a way other than the way I have come up with.

I basically have a PC, which i've been using for a very long time as my SECONDARY machine. I just bought a mac but would still like to use a ton of the software I paid for on my PC.

The PC has an optical adat pipeline, as does the mac. This could give me a measly eight channels of effects if I wanted. I know I can run MIDI over LAN to use my PC as a kind of soft synth, or just use a MIDI cable.

The problem is using some badass audio effects I have on the PC. I've seen Wormhole2 which allows you to send audio over ethernet at a decent speed.. but I was wondering if there was anything else that was possible? Even if I have to buy hardware, i'm not too fussed.. i'd just like to be able to do it! :)

Any ideas?

Im sure your adat solution would work as long as the software on both machines recognize its respective adat I/O.

You could just hand pic the wav file for the track and copy and paste it into the PC though a network or transfering it via external hard drive.

Buffalo makes a link station that is ethernet. You could stick one of those on your lan and keep your audio files on one drive. Or you could share folders on each machine and trade across the network.

Im sure your adat solution would work as long as the software on both machines recognize its respective adat I/O.

You could just hand pic the wav file for the track and copy and paste it into the PC though a network or transfering it via external hard drive.

Buffalo makes a link station that is ethernet. You could stick one of those on your lan and keep your audio files on one drive. Or you could share folders on each machine and trade across the network.

ADAT works, but it limits me to a measly 8 tracks.

I don't want to share files, I want to apply effects in realtime, using my PC as a multi-effects processor.

Back