Audio interfaces

DarrenVocal

Hello people, I am using the Steinberg Ci1 currently and I am wondering: How much of a difference does an expensive and cheap audio interface make? Steinberg Ci1 has been know to be a cheap and "good" audio interface, but with a bit of latency delay. So, anyone care to explain to me the difference and if so, what is the best audio interface that is worth every buck?

What are your requirements for an interface? Low latency? Number of channels? For me the most bang for my buck is the Tascam US-1800. But many channels and direct monitoring is more important than low latency to me.

Well, direct monitoring and low latency is what I want, and also I'm quite interested in the sound that each audio interface gives, so can you explain to me more about how it affects sound quality?

If you are using direct monitoring, latency does not come into play. You get latency from monitoring your recorded track.

Until you spend bigger money ($500+) most audio interfaces offer comparable mic preamps and a-to-d converters.

The CI1 is a very good interface. I owned it for two years and it was a fantastic workhorse. I would recommend you keep it around until you are able to fork out some serious cash or you run out of inputs/outputs.

Besides quality the other important thing is the drivers, the latency is dependent from good or bad drivers (and other things of course). About the best interface this is a matter of subject and personal like and opinion.

As others have said, you would have to spend a great deal more money to get a noticeable improvement in sound quality and even then, unless monitors, room and above all the source quality was beyond reproach, you won't hear it.

Low latency is mostly about the interface and especially its drivers but you can have PC problems. Search for DPclat latency checker and see how good your system is.

If you want a name? The Native Instruments KA6 gives the lowest usable latency of any current AI under £250 as far as I am aware.

Dave.

Back