Audio Interfaces

knightknife

Im looking at buying an interface for my microphones and instruments. If anyone has any suggestions on interfaces that they have used and worked well or that didn't work well, I would like to know. I would like to purchase an interface that has 2 mic inputs and an instrument input. Price cap -$200

Thanks

Are you planing on using all four at once?

If so, are you planing on recording all 4 at once?

If you want to record more then 2 tracks at a time then a USB interface will not work.

no, not all at once. well maybe the two mic inputs at once. Is that doable?
Yes. For $200 to $250 it's doable.
There are four and eight channel USB Audio interfaces (for more money) and I can't say just how well the larger models work but names like Alesis, M-Audio, MOTU & Presonus all have excellent reputations.
I use the Echo Mona for four channels. It uses a PCI card which performs better than USB but will not work on the new motherboards. Mind you, with the Mona, I don't need to upgrade the PC.

Line6 UX2 is a good choice...nothing else comes close...once you check out what it can do you will know...and it comes with Abelton Live free so you dont have to buy software either.

darrin_h2000, I realize that the line 6 guitar inputs were probably great. But how about the mic inputs? have you used them?

Are you planing on using all four at once?

If so, are you planing on recording all 4 at once?

If you want to record more then 2 tracks at a time then a USB interface will not work.

It won't? Like it won't do it reliably or it won't work at all? Intresting. So if say i was gearing up to record a drum kit or like two guitars vocals and bass a the same time what would be reccomended? Firewire connectivity? Not usb? Hmm. This changes my wish list considerably.

It will.
I'm sure Simbo was trying to be helpful but may have had a bad experience with one of these units and probably overstated things a little.
There are excellent 4, 6 & 8 channel USB and Firewire Audio Interfaces on the market which do work or they wouldn't be selling them. In addition, many of them come with ADAT which allows you to add 8 more channels at a time.
When I say "I'm not sure how well they work" it's because I've never owned one. That's all.
Google some and check out the reviews.

It won't? Like it won't do it reliably or it won't work at all? Intresting. So if say i was gearing up to record a drum kit or like two guitars vocals and bass a the same time what would be reccomended? Firewire connectivity? Not usb? Hmm. This changes my wish list considerably.

There are USB2 peices by Tascam that input 14 at once....if it isnt reliable...its your computer.

Yea. no its somethign with my computer. Its the most unreliable thing ever. I am seriosuly pondering upgrading to a mac.

That small. I would look at the firebox. I have used it. Stability is good. Its the only small unit I have used. Quality is average. No reason you can't make good recordings.

I have owned the Maudio 1010 and it had stability issues and average quality.

I use an RME Multface II now. It is solid and very flexible on the routing. Quality is better than average.

Maybe i worded it wrong, but in any case, i don't think you will find a USB A/D for $200.00 that will allow you to record more that 2 tracks at once.

Most USB A/D's will only do 2 track, i have not read up on USB2 that does more, but now i'll search around

Back