Audio interface question

Ding Dong

I recently got a new mac computer and had to rethink how to mix down to it. I record most things analog, mix down through an allen and heath mixwizard to 2 tracks on the computer. Then I usually add final tracks, like vocals and keys directly to the CPU. I fugured I would only need a basic 2 channel audio interface, so I bought a M-Audio Mobile pre USB interface. I havent taken it out of the box because I still have lingering doubts.

The reason I bought the USB over its M-audio firewire counterpart, was because of the two XLR inputs. I want to use the XLR outputs on my mixer, thus freeing up the mixer's other outs for more routing and monitoring capabilities. Now I'm thinking that the XLR inputs probobly have built in mic preamps, and this might be bad for recieving a mix from the board. Also I heard firewire is faster, but when recording only 2 channels, is it going to be a huge deal? should I take this back and get the firewire box w/o the XLR's?

I've used USB (Tascam US-122 with a PC) and it is just fine for 2 channels. For more than that, I would probably go with firewire. You're right that the XLR inputs have a preamp stage. The 1/4 line inputs would be a better choice, although they will still have access to the preamp gain on the MobilePre. Just get XLR-1/4TRS cables. Having not used the MobilePre personally, I cannot comment on its quality.

p.s. -- when in doubt, get an interface with more inputs, as you might want them later.

Back