Audio interface + preamp

So i bought an external preamp, the GAP pre73jr and was looking forward to using it...until i realized i couldn't bypass the gain section of my audio interface, a newly acquired SSL2.

I tested with 3 different mic (as drums mono OH), RB500, SM57 and C214 and the result is always the same: i need to put the inteface input at 0, even when using the -20db pad on the c214. And even with this set up, i can't use the preamp properly, its output needs to be quite low. Of course i use the preamp for sound colouration, or obviously i'd only use the interface.

On the pre73jr manual they say that if you want to push the gain AND the output level for even more coloration then you can use a shure as15 xls. Could work out i suppose...but what about he ssl2? Even if i manage to lower the preamp output signal a bit i'll still have to set the interface at 0. Is there somehing like a minimum gain level on audio interfaces to operate correctly? Does lowering gain at 0 would prevent it to work corectly? Does it need ro be at least 1/4 of potential gain or something? Or is it fine with it turned down?

Are you using the Line input on the SSL2 connected from the GAP pre73jr with a 1/4" TRS cable?
And now i shall live in shame for the rest of my time. Oops...of course....there's a line button switch, epic fail.

Ok so i'll push the line button next time haha...but what about this gain + gain setup? Is it counter-productive? Does the gain of the interface needs to be at a certain minimum?

One other thought if using the preamp out to the interface Line input with the 1/4" TRS balanced cable connection and if the interface levels are still high. Try a 1/4" TS 'unbalanced' cable that will drop the signal by about 6dB. It's likely a short cable between the preamp and interface, so no worry about noise.

theres no worry in using BOTH preamps to adjust your overall gain structure.
you can push your exterior gain hard, and bring it in with the interface gain barely there, and adjust your input level accordingly...
or split the difference between your exterior unit, and the interface preamp.

lots of color possibilities with gain staging multiple devices.

Does it make sense to feed the preamp into a DI then back into the interface?

I used a DI inbetween my electric guitar to my audio interface to help manage the level going into the interface.

Back