Audio Interface for home studio

cdesangles

Hello,

I just bought a Yamaha CLP 430 digital piano and a Shure BETA 87A mic (uses phantom power) and will soon buy an electro acoustic guitar for some home recording. After doing some research, the best way is joining all that in an Audio Interface, but I'm having trouble choosing one on the 50-150 price range.

Ideally, it should have:
  • 2 inputs (mic and guitar or mic and piano)
  • Phantom power
  • USB connection
  • desktop form (no racks)
  • PC and Mac compatible
  • MIDI Optional
So far I've looked at:

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks,

The Focusrite and Steinberg are similarly priced and have similar specifications.

The key for me, though, is what is on the back panel.

For me, the Behringer, at $20 less, is considerably more versatile. It gives a wider ranger of output options.

I reckon it is great interface to start off with, and it would be my choice.

Note, though, that all the interfaces will only accept two audio inputs simultaneously.

You can record a stereo piano track, or guitar in one channel and vocals in the other.

For me no brainer.
UR22 all the way. You don't buy a MIDI "organ" and then an AI without it.

If I have a choice I will not go Behringer, not religious about it but just don't.

Cherry on the cake? Cubase. Nothing better for MIDI!

Dave.

The Behr Uphorias are brand new models, so not a lot of feedback on them so far. I notice you mention an 'electro-acoustic' guitar - for best acoustic guitar sound, you want to mic it, not plug it in.
You'll also better to record your instrument(piano or guitar) separately from the vocals, then overtrack the vocals after getting the instrument tracked. Of course, if you want the 'live sound' of doing both, make sure you can make use of your keyboard's stereo output, or have two mic preamps in your interface for recording vocals AND guitar with mic at same time.

The Behr Uphorias are brand new models

Their being brand new is why I am comfortable recommending them. The Behri of today is a vastly different thing to the Behri of half-a-dozen or so years ago. The turning point came when Behri bought Midas and re-invented itself.

Hello,

I just bought a Yamaha CLP 430 digital piano

Ideally, it should have:
2 inputs (mic and guitar or mic and piano)

Just to be clear, you'll want something with at least two LINE inputs for the yamaha.
Instrument inputs accept a different level of input, usually provided by guitars (and bass guitars).
Although keyboards, synths, and pianos are 'instruments', the usually have line level outputs.
Sounds like I'm being picky, but there is a difference worth noting.

If you plan to record everything separately then the 2i2 would do.
It has two input channels which can be set to mic, instrument or line.

If you're recording these instruments simultaneously you'll need to look at something bigger.

Their being brand new is why I am comfortable recommending them. The Behri of today is a vastly different thing to the Behri of half-a-dozen or so years ago. The turning point came when Behri bought Midas and re-invented itself.

I thought that up until a couple of weeks ago then I saw the Bugera clone of "our" HT-5.
Dave.

Just to be clear, you'll want something with at least two LINE inputs for the yamaha.
Instrument inputs accept a different level of input, usually provided by guitars (and bass guitars).
Although keyboards, synths, and pianos are 'instruments', the usually have line level outputs.
Sounds like I'm being picky, but there is a difference worth noting.

If you plan to record everything separately then the 2i2 would do.
It has two input channels which can be set to mic, instrument or line.

If you're recording these instruments simultaneously you'll need to look at something bigger.

Another no brainer then Steen! NI KA6!

Dave.

You can record a stereo piano track, or guitar in one channel and vocals in the other.

That's exactly what I want, only one instrument at a time + a mic.

The Behr Uphorias are brand new models, so not a lot of feedback on them so far. I notice you mention an 'electro-acoustic' guitar - for best acoustic guitar sound, you want to mic it, not plug it in.
You'll also better to record your instrument(piano or guitar) separately from the vocals, then overtrack the vocals after getting the instrument tracked. Of course, if you want the 'live sound' of doing both, make sure you can make use of your keyboard's stereo output, or have two mic preamps in your interface for recording vocals AND guitar with mic at same time.

I'd like to record them separately, piano / guitar and mic, then join them together in a computer. That way if I have to repeat, for example the voice, I can playback the piano and re-record voice, or vice versa. Right now I only have 1 wired mic, but adding a second wireless one in the future for more live performance versatility. Could use one of them to record the acoustic guitar in the future.

I'd like to record vocals and one of these instruments at the same time. I'm playing the piano and singing, would the 2i2 suffice? I'm looking at some great reviews, yet I'm unsure I need something bigger or that would do.

Another no brainer then Steen! NI KA6!

Dave.
A bit on the expensive side, but added to the list. :)

Edit: thanks for the replies!!

If you're wanting to record your piano in stereo, it will take 2 inputs by itself. You could record it in mono if your piano supports that, and if you don't mind not getting the stereo spread.

A 4-input device might be a better fit, something with a couple of line inputs and a couple of mic preamps. The KA6 mentioned above would be a good fit, and it has MIDI inputs if you ever want to expand beyond the sounds built-in to your piano.

MIDI should not be optional for recording any electonic keyboard... whatever you get, ensure it has MIDI.

Did you check out BroKen_H's great interface comparison-chart Sticky at the top? It'd be a shame if he went to all that trouble and no one used it. You're exactly who he made it for. Check it out.

I've never had a chance to hear the U-phoria but the Focurite and the Steinberg are both good.

Just to add to your confusion, you might want to add the M Audio M Track (which is basically the same as the Alesis iO2) to your list. I needed a simple interface for a specific job about six months ago, bought one and have been very pleased. It ticks all the items on your feature list (including MIDI), the mic pre amps seem decent even on fairly low output dynamics, the ASIO drivers have been nicely stable and the price tag is cheaper than some of the other options. FYI, my use has involved throwing it in and out of a computer bag almost daily and (so far) it's totally reliable despite the abuse I'm giving it.

MIDI should not be optional for recording any electonic keyboard... whatever you get, ensure it has MIDI.

THANK you Armistice!
Then, the KA6 is another $80 over the 2i2 (which I consider expensive for the limited facilities) but for that you get two more line inputs (4 tracks) S/PDIF and MIDI..AND Cubase! A thing is "too expensive" if you really can't afford it. For the specc' (especially the drivers and latency) it is the best value in the list.

Heck! The Steinberg is better value if you are chasing every cent! Bobb's reccy of the M-A seems remarkable value but no extra inputs and I don't know how good the pre amps are. FWIIW an SoS review remarked how good the U22 pres' were.

It is SO easy in this game for gear to get branded good or bad for no objective reason and it is almost impossible to get the praise or mud unstuck!

Actually ALL the interfaces are "good" and if you lined them up and listened to the same signal A/D'ed-D/A'ed from each I doubt you, or anyone else could tell them apart? Well maybe if you had a super clean signal and $5,000 monitors. (in which case my money would be on the KA6!)

Dave.

Well, yes

The case I had in mind Geks was the Mackie "Big Knob" (shutup at the back!) someone, somewhere said it coloured the sound and this totally unsupported statement went viral. Every bloody discussion on
any audio forum you looked at discussing monitor controllers trollied out the same lie..."Well of course the BK is well appointed and good value but sounds bad...."

There was never any attempt to test the damn thing against its peers or in a bypass "straight wire with gain" setup.

Dave.

Hello,

I just bought a Yamaha CLP 430 digital piano and a Shure BETA 87A mic (uses phantom power) and will soon buy an electro acoustic guitar for some home recording. After doing some research, the best way is joining all that in an Audio Interface, but I'm having trouble choosing one on the 50-150 price range.

Ideally, it should have:
  • 2 inputs (mic and guitar or mic and piano)
  • Phantom power
  • USB connection
  • desktop form (no racks)
  • PC and Mac compatible
  • MIDI Optional
So far I've looked at:

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks,

I recently just went through a similar dilemma as I start to put together a small home studio in my relatively new apartment. From what I gathered, the 2i2 or UR22 are pretty much go-tos for the under-$200 range. One of the HR regulars recommended the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 (slightly more expensive), which certainly looks like a good place to start as well.

I managed to take a risk. I didn't just want 2 in and 2 out, minimal capabilities. I wanted options for the future that would make it easer to progress from a mixing standpoint without having to upgrade my interface. I've also messed with a friends UA Apollo Twin Duo, which I found to be spectacular. Obviously it was way out of my price range as a relative beginner, but one thing I loved about it was the ability to do some onboard processing. It helps decrease latency that comes from CPU-heavy or multiple plugins by giving you a platform to adjust preamp levels, certain inserts and other things before even sending the signal to your DAW.

I found something similar (albeit far less in-depth) on the TC Electronic Impact Twin. I didn't even know TC Electronic made interfaces, and I believe they've decided to discontinue them, which is why you can find this 500+ buck interface for just over 200 on amazon. I've read great things about their converters, mic pres, and other features, plus I love their pedals and the worksmanship and passion they seem to put into their products, so I truly don't think I could've found anything better for around 200 bucks.

Now, I've barely had enough time to mess with it, but so far I'm very pleased and truly think I'm getting way more than 200 bucks in value. But this is a risk. While all drivers are up-to-date, a year or 2 from now that might not be the case. Just another thing to consider.

If your budget is around 200 bucks, and you don't have space limitations and want to avoid limiting yourself to 2 in, 2 out, I would go with the Tascam US-1800, which has been recommended to me by some very respectable and knowledgable members on HomeRecording.

Either way, you seem to be on the right track with an initial interface. I don't see any trashy interfaces in your list so far, so just choose one and start making some music.

I'd like to record vocals and one of these instruments at the same time. I'm playing the piano and singing, would the 2i2 suffice? I'm looking at some great reviews, yet I'm unsure I need something bigger or that would do.

Looks like you've already got the answers but I'll +1 them.

2i2 has two mono inputs.
Vocals and mono piano would saturate the device.

To record the yamaha in stereo you'll need an interface with one mic preamp and two separate line inputs.
It'd be worth it though. :)
All my keyboard recordings are stereo Yamaha CLP 840.

Hi Cal'
Yes that TC impact twin was the bee's knees a few years ago in the mags but as you say, expensive. TC Electronics are well know for very high quality products (and are the parent company of Tannoy). I take your caveat re future support seriously, we have Windows 10 coming down the pike and many firms use an O/S change (I won't say "upgrade" coz many of them ain't in a lot of peoples views!) to "lose" legacy products.

I really don't have a beef with simple but pretty interfaces that just give two in two out but will continue to point out the limitations to anyone who might want to go further than one mic and one guitar!

Dave.

Back