audio interface choices

Flux

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have a nice jamming room with all the gear I need :) , and since I want to upgrade my old computer, I thought I'd use this as an excuse to record again. (If it makes a difference I'm lusting at one of the new iMac duo core models). But anyway, my question is:
After looking at various audio interfaces (in the 'reasonable' price range) it seems there's little that will allow me to record 4+ tracks at one time - all seem to limit it to one stereo pair. I would like to record the whole band and keep some of the original first pass to build up later. Are there any prosumer audio interfaces that allow several tracks to be recorded at once? or am I looking at having to subscribe to some proprietary 'system'? Since I'll be working from a clean slate I don't mind buying into one brand or another - as long as I can afford it and it does the job. I use a small Mackie 16x4 mixer but wouldn't rule out a new board with USB/FireWire if it allowed me to capture multiple tracks to disk, otherwise any method is acceptable. Any suggestions?

seems like m-audio (as said already) or motu would easily suit your needs for 4+ tracks of I/O...and of course...you could go the pro-tools route and pick up a digi002 rack or something

that would require you subscribing to some proprietary system...but hey..i think it's a good system...

thanks folk, I'll definitely check out the M Audio offerings. Do they come with software? If not can you make any recommendations? I think GarageBand still comes bundled with iLife, and that many interfaces bundle CuBase LE.... I guess I'm asking if I'll need to worry about compatability issues, as in: will the software recognize the available inputs, are drivers required etc. Also, speaking of budget (<$500), has anyone tried the Lexicon Omega? It seems like a great choice but I heard something or other about software choices...?

Okay, I guess my googling just answered some of my own questions i.e. for an extra pint of plasma you can get a ProTools bundle - and the rack mount M-Audio Delta 1010, 8 I/O, plus MIDI with software looks sweet (stretching the budget though) ... anyone know how hard it would be to shoehorn the card into an iMac? If it's a pain I may be limited to 1394.... Sorry about all the questions, I always get like this when there's money to be squandered, heheh :D

iMac doesn't come with any available PCI slots...so that's not a route you can take

Right. Well that's okay the M-Audio route is preferable but I don't really need 8 I/O, four should do it for recording the jams and fleshing them out later - especially if I'm dumpin' the coin into the big iMac. An audio interface with USB or FireWire that handles four track input, narrows the field considerably... like I said, the Lexicon Omega is the only model I've seen that fits that bill. Take a look:
http://www.lexiconpro.com/ProductIndex.aspx?ProductID=6
I know this is small potatoes for some of you guys but my needs are simple I guess.

orksnork said:
nope...
he needs to go firewire...

Strong agreement. USB audio isn't worth screwing with, and PCI is dead (and doubly so on the Mac platform).

BTW, you'd probably do well to ask this in the computer recording section. :)

Thanks Orksnork, more things to look into... the Alesis MultiMix 12 FireWire looks swell, the 8 channel wouldn't cut it for me... though hang on, I guess I could use it for sub mixing i.e. use my Mackie and take the subs out and patch into the MultiMix... hmmm not bad! No MIDI mind you but this could be accessed through USB I supposed. Yeah that might be the way to go, maybe not the best A/D at that price point but for my needs could be fine. Thanks again. :)

Had a chance to pop into a local retailer this afternoon. The sales guy pretty much convinced me that I should keep my Mackie board (or buy an Onyx) and think about the FireBox.... so I'm thinking about that... and it does make sense. The I/O is limited but more importantly the sound quality is there.

nobody mentioned the firepod eh? it almost seems like common sense with his under $500 budget and need for more than 2 or 4 inputs. use the firepod pres.. pair of overheads, kick, snare, and then guitars/keys can take up the other 4.

Thanks for the input. My 4+ meant a minimum of 4 tracks - I can work with just four, mainly because I'm using Roland V-Drums (well I like 'em anyway) - they're way more affordable now that you can get the intro sets and flesh out the rest from eBay (mesh snares are a must) That leaves 1. vocals, 2. lead, 3. rhythm, 4. bass. - keyboards are also MIDI. Works for 90% of the jams anyway (the other 10% = the +) Everything else goes on Take 2+ ;)

Back