audio engineering, glossary and reference manual

rog999

Dear All

I have my studio up and running and I am getting some good clean sounds and enjoying it more than I can say.

If there is something I dont know I can generally find some great FAQs posts etc on this site and tweakheadz and others.

However, what I would really like to find is a one stop, well written , comprehensive document that covers the whole range of of recording techniques. E.g. The best/standard methods for cabling, micing drums, treating room, best practice using mixers etc plus a full glossary of terms. I have recently spent more than I shoiuld have on completing my studio set up (Although I am very, very happy with it) so I am ideally looking for something for free on the net that I can print off.

However recommendations of book on Amazon would also be appreciated.

Is there a audio engineers bible that is commonly used out there.

Hope this is in the write forum.

Roger

Dear All

I have my studio up and running and I am getting some good clean sounds and enjoying it more than I can say.

If there is something I dont know I can generally find some great FAQs posts etc on this site and tweakheadz and others.

However, what I would really like to find is a one stop, well written , comprehensive document that covers the whole range of of recording techniques. E.g. The best/standard methods for cabling, micing drums, treating room, best practice using mixers etc plus a full glossary of terms. I have recently spent more than I shoiuld have on completing my studio set up (Although I am very, very happy with it) so I am ideally looking for something for free on the net that I can print off.

However recommendations of book on Amazon would also be appreciated.

Is there a audio engineers bible that is commonly used out there.

Hope this is in the write forum.

Roger

Hey Roger .... to answer your question just go up one thread from this one or if you don't get back to this early enough this thread will be lower.
So to keep it simple the thread that you want to read is the 2nd sticky down in this forum called "the Internets best resources". If you like reading that has just about everything listed that you want.

:cool:

Many thanks

Many thanks, I will take a look at that thread and "Home Recording for Dummies" which looks cheap on Amazon

R

thanks again

I will definately be using some of the links on " The Internets Best Recording Resources" sticky thread above.

I also looked at some books on Amazon "Guerilla home recording" which looks very good. However I managed to get "Home Recording for Dummies" which seems to cover most subjects I need to know about for about $6 delivered to my door, a bargain. So I went for that.

thanks again

R

+1 for internet's best recording resources...+1 for home recording for dummies, its good, not very thorough, but t will give you some basic ideas, I own it. The best mixing engineer's book IMHO is Mixing Audio: Concepts, Ideas, and Practices, Or the 'Mixing Engineer's Handbook', both of which are great, way more in-depth than dummies, but its whatever suits you, If you wanted just a basic 'handbook', go with dummies.

Cheers, T :drunk:

I was wondering that too, maybe the producer had pissed him off and Ian told him where he might stick the mic, if he got the chance

I was wondering that too, maybe the producer had pissed him off and Ian told him where he might stick the mic, if he got the chance

HA HA HA HA I just thought that maybe he did a Roger Dultry swing with the microphone and was told not to on this show.

:cool:

Back