Audio "crackle'

glamslam

Hi all.
I'm recording with Logic Audio and an Audiophile on a PC. Everything is configured correctly and there are no PCI conflicts and so on. Whenever I record audio (or convert MIDI to audio) I get a crackle on the playback...especially if I'm dealing with more than two tracks. Also, the same kind of machine gun sound comes through when I play mp3s, for example. Someone has suggested that this may be due to the way the internal drive is connected and whether it is a slave or not. Can anyone suggest anything else before I have to tear my computer apart?...
Thanks in advance.

I had a problem similar to this. Did you have any other applications running? I had to shutdown the firewall, and stop all network activity. This helped fix the problem. Also, check the midiman web page and make sure you have the latest drivers. Their support guys are really good at getting back to you in a quick amount of time if you ask them a question.

No other major applications are running at the same time apart from Task Scheduler and Norton Anti Virus 2001. I'll shut them down and try and find the latest driver for the audiophile and give it another shot.

Yep. I've got 256 RAM. Just tried shutting down Task Scheduler and Norton Anti Virus while using Logic as well as installing the latest driver for the audiophile. The problem has got better but is not solved. There are no (or hardly any) clicks and pops when recording an individual track BUT when I play back more than one audio track the whole song has a crackle going through it. The crackle is not a part of the sound wav in the audio track. ANy other sugestions?

Do you have a PCI video card? Try turning off hardware acceleration and/or reducing the color depth.
Also try increasing the latency on the sound card if you have it set real short. I usually keep the latency longer when recording because I monitor through my mixer.

I have an ATI 3D Rage Pro which is not set to full. There is also a Yamaha DS-XG soundcard which came with the computer and is built in to the motherboard but which I have disabled. In which other devices should I turn off hardware acceleration or colour depth and how?
The latency on the Audiophile soundcard is set to 24 milliseconds. If I change it to 28 then the sound becomes distorted and slow, a lower latency on the other hand makes it sound high pitched.
I have noticed that the crackles and pops are now coming through only when I play more than one audio track simultaneously. If I solo the drums, for example, it sounds perfectly clear.
I really can't seem to figure this out!

Sorry, I guess I didn't say that very clear. Regarding the hardware acceleration and the color depth, I meant only the video card.
In Windows (98), go to the Control Panel and double-click Display to open the Display Properties dialog. Then click the Settings tab. If the Colors setting is at 32-bit or 16-bit, try the next lower setting. Next, hit the Advanced button. This brings up another dialog. You may have a tab called "Performance". (I'm not sure if it's the same for all video cards) If so, go to that page and you may have a slider to set the hardware acceleration. Set it to none.
I'm using Windows 98 (not SE or ME). If you have a different version things might look a little different.

It's sounds very strange that changing the latency is changing your sound. Different latencies should not change the sound at all except for reducing skips and pops. It shouldn't change the pitch. Something doesn't seem right. You should be able use 28ms.

Thank you very much for your help. You explained everything perfectly...I'm just a bit stupid when it comes to messing with settings! I have played around with the latency in a different way to before (shutting down logic while changing Delta settings) and 28 ms does work and does NOT change the sound as I said before. I think that was a freak accident. The clicking and popping has now gone at 28 ms but I'm going to reduce the acceleration as well, just to be sure. Thank you very much once again for all your help! This service has been invaluble to me.. a month ago I couldn't switch on a computer :o)

Back