audio chain + component options.. Rig build help

jake the snake

I'm currently working on a "semi-pro" style rig. Correct me if I'm wrong...
AUDIO CHAIN: Mic->preamp->A/D converter->interface->->PC/sequencer... interface->->D/A converter->monitors. right?

Now I am fairly confident I know what each components job is, but I struggle to understand what brands play well with with other brands, how to connect said components, what sequencer is compatible with which interface and so on.

I'm planning on recording male/femal vocals, guitar, bass, cabs, acoustic guitars, drums and also compostion work with EWQL.

So here is what I have as of now: PC:Pro Studio - :: PURRRFECT AUDIO - BRIDGING THE GAP BETWEEN EXPERT TECHNICIAN AND ACCOMPLISHED MUSICIAN! ::, Reaper, Yamaha E323 keyboard, Shure 57's, roland td-10 ekit... plus junky monitors and line6 ux2 interface which I will replace.

Here is what I'm considering: Better MICS Rode Nt1A or other LDM, Studio Projects C4 SCM (for dum overheads) and more 57's.

PREAMPS: One dual preamp (suggestions ecouraged) for drum overheads/vocals/cabs etc, (with a dual I can do two stereo overheads and also use one as a single for vocals correct?),and the focusrite octo pre mk11 8 channel for drums.

CONVERTER: Behringer ADA 8000. Which can do both A/D (pre interface)and D/A (post interface) right?

INTERACE: I'm really struggling with this but I keep hearing MOTU 896 mk3. Some advice on an interface for my particular needs would be very helpful.

MONITORS: I don't think I can do better with $500 then krk rp8g2.

So please tell me where I'm wrong,, any advice or suggestions on my equipment choices and their compatibility with each other are greatly appreciated

INTERACE: I'm really struggling with this but I keep hearing MOTU 896 mk3. Some advice on an interface for my particular needs would be very helpful.

First of all, are you using a mac or a PC? MOTU drivers are supposedly very unstable for PC users, but if you're on mac, it seems like a good choice.

I've just been through lots of research for buying an interface. I used to have a RME Fireface UFX which is excellent but very expensive. I sold that for travelling money some time ago and I just aquired a much cheaper Focusrite Scarlett 18i6. I honestly do not notice much of a difference except a slight (but not audible) latency. It has ADAT which you can connect 8 channels of the Octo Pre you mentioned + 6 line inputs (I use it with a RME Quadmic) and two decent preamps. It is however USB and I didn't have as much choice since I have no Firewire-connection myself.

I don't see why you would get an external converter, and especially not a Behringer, but there might be some specific reason for this?

How many channels do you need?

The Behringer ADA 8000 IS an interface, the problem with it is that it only has digital optical output - you need a way to get that signal into the computer. Or put it aside and get an AI. How may inputs/mic preamps do you need at one time - what is the maximum number of separate tracks you will want to record at one time?

I think the OP should have figured out his SOP by now....it's a 2-year old thread. :)

Ohh shoot. Well there you have it, my brain goes from one thing to another sometimes. I realise now I was searching for posts mentioning KRK monitors and quickly forgot about the search entry. Blah.

Anyway I still got to make the point that for basic home studio use, the cheap interface seems almost as good as the expensive one (which was my first interface) and it is about 10-15% the price.

Back