Audio being routed thru reverb bus (bus 1-2)

mixologistmike

We've been using Pro Tools 12.4 for a couple of months and yesterday - for no apparent reason - the audio tracks seem to be now routed thru the bus I'm using as a reverb aux send.

The system is an iMac 27 with 4 gig memory; Digidesign 003 interface; El Capitan OS; Pro Tools 12.4.

As I stated before we've been using this system for about 2 months without any problems (except gui lag) and then yesterday nothing sounds like it did the previous day.

If I turn down the bus fader on a vocal track, the vocal goes away. If I mute the Reverb track, the vocal goes away. If I eliminate the bus send, the volume of the track is very quiet.

I tried listening to several previous recordings and none of them sound right any more. They are all super reverb sounding.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi there,
Your input and output assignments are all shown clearly in the mix window, so if anything has been changed it should be easy to spot.

I'd guess that either you've held a modifier key when changing an assignment (which could cause it to effect all tracks) or, for some reason, the paths have been changed or mixed up by ProTools.
The latter can happen if you change interfaces or Protools chooses an interface other than the one the session was made with.

If you suspect this is the case, plug in your main interface, launch PT, check under Setup>Playback engine that the correct interface is selected.
Now go to Setup > I/O.
For all tabs (bus, ins, outs etc) select all paths, delete, then default.

That will repopulate the ins and outs. You may need to manually reassign your track ins and outs in the session after this.

Anyway....a lot of speculation here. Maybe you can tell us a bit more of post a screen shot of your mix window with I/O+bus assignments shown?

Thank you for responding. I did delete all I/O & bus assignments and that cleared up the problem regarding tracks being directed to the reverb bus.

Now though, there seems to be a panning/phasing issue. All tracks have to be hard panned to one side or the other to get decent volume.

Any ideas about that issue?

Thank you again for your assistance.

A good habit to have is each time you close -or make major advances in a mix you also 'saved as with a 'new date or rev. (For me those go to the audio and b/up drive. As well as b/u's, makes for a trouble shooting and back track paths.

Thank you for responding. I did delete all I/O & bus assignments and that cleared up the problem regarding tracks being directed to the reverb bus.

Now though, there seems to be a panning/phasing issue. All tracks have to be hard panned to one side or the other to get decent volume.

Any ideas about that issue?

Thank you again for your assistance.

Hmm..I'm not sure what has happened there.
If wide panning is the only way to get volume then there's clearly cancellation going on when panned centre.
I can't think of anything Protools could do to make this happen 'behind your back'.

What's the source? Stereo miking? Maybe input polarities were opposed when recording?
Insert a digi single band eq on one of the tracks and toggle its polarity button to see what happens.

A good habit to have is each time you close -or make major advances in a mix you also 'saved as with a 'new date or rev. (For me those go to the audio and b/up drive. As well as b/u's, makes for a trouble shooting and back track paths.

That wouldn't make any different if Protools I/O or bus paths got altered,
but yes...good practice.

Thanks again for your assistance. When I talked about panning, I don't mean "wide" panning, but having to pan all tracks either all the way to the left or all tracks all the way to the right.

Also, no stereo miking. Just single mic, and the tracks sounded fine before these issues occurred.

I have no idea why the alleged routing issue and/or the panning issue have occurred out of nowhere. I agree that there appears to be cancellation but have no idea why these errors are happening.

I've been using Pro Tools 9 for several years without any problems (super stable) but since upgrading to PT 12.4, it's hard to open (sometimes 7 or 8 tries to open a file with as few 3 tracks. Same for larger sessions); laggy meters & "knobs" especially if a plug-in window is open, and now these issues.

Back