Audacity vs. Cool Edit Pro 2.0

billy3000

howdy all. would audacity be as good for editing as the old cool edit pro?
I can't find a legit copy of cool edit pro anywhere. I have a friend/partner
in the music recording/charitable organization bizness(s) who thinks I need
cool edit pro 2.0

the charitable subsidiary is bringing in more money by the way. as in none,
but the overhead is less.

I think this guy may be nutz. where can one find a legit version of CEP2.0?
and is it worth the effort? thanks!

Cool Edit has been taken off the market. Everyone who acquires it now is either getting a demo or a cracked copy.

The Adobe company purchased Syntrillium back in 2003 and turned the product into Adobe Audition. The latest version is now 3.0 and it really is a superb suite of recording tools that is easy to learn. I bought it a few years ago and never looked back.

well, thanks for the replies everyone

here's what happened...

he sent me an mp3 of a project he is working on. it opened
right up in my cubase sx3 without me batting an eyelash. it just
opened as a stereo wav file in a new project like that's what it
was supposed do.

then, I added a bunch of guitar tracks. then I exported them
individually as mp3's and emailed them across town (it's a big
town) but I'm thinking the drive may be easier than the emailing
at this point. it's 40 miles.

anyway, he said they wouldn't work. and that cool edit pro would
create a special kind of mp3 that would be transformed back into a wav when
he imported it....automatically

admittedly, I am the newbie here. but as such, I have no clue what
the difference is. I thought an mp3 was an mp3. an mp3 by any other
name, as it were.

and what's so special in CEP2.0 that cubase doesn't have. I am
stumped. there's all sorts of things to buy, including pando
which would allow me to send the whole thing as a project exactly
AS IS in my computer in the cubase folder...I think.

but loading up the tower and filling up the tank would be cheaper
and easier. thanks for the help boys and girls. Reaper sounds and looks
great. I should have invested in it instead of cubase.

Last edited:
So, let me get this straight...

You are collaborating on a song with a friend across town. You need to be able to email the files back and forth to avoid the drive. He is having trouble opening the mp3's that you sent him. He is blaming it on the program you used.

First and foremost, I would never use mp3's on an original project. Think of WAV files as full quality originals and think of mp3's as a very low quality Xerox copy. Mid and high frequencies become missing and/or distorted when saving as mp3. Any program should be able to convert mp3 back to WAV but the quality does not come back. Once it is low quality, it stays low quality. Your finished mix will probably end up sounding like royal crapola.

Option 1: Save your tracks as WAV files and burn them to a CD. (Use whatever program you want.) Mail or drive them across town and be done with it. It's the cost of doing business.

Option 2: Cool Edit Pro doesn't have any magic powers to convert files better than other programs. The problem is that it is old. If Cool Edit Pro cannot open your mp3 files tell him to buy a program that was written in this century and get over it.

Option 3: You could try to email WAV files but many email providers have an attachment file size limit to consider.

Last edited:
got the mp3's done in cubase

So, let me get this straight...

You are collaborating on a song with a friend across town. You need to be able to email the files back and forth to avoid the drive. He is having trouble opening the mp3's that you sent him. He is blaming it on the program you used.

First and foremost, I would never use mp3's on an original project. Think of WAV files as full quality originals and think of mp3's as a very low quality Xerox copy. Mid and high frequencies become missing and/or distorted when saving as mp3. Any program should be able to convert mp3 back to WAV but the quality does not come back. Once it is low quality, it stays low quality. Your finished mix will probably end up sounding like royal crapola.

Option 1: Save your tracks as WAV files and burn them to a CD. (Use whatever program you want.) Mail or drive them across town and be done with it. It's the cost of doing business.

Option 2: Cool Edit Pro doesn't have any magic powers to convert files better than other programs. The problem is that it is old. If Cool Edit Pro cannot open your mp3 files tell him to buy a program that was written in this century and get over it.

Option 3: You could try to email WAV files but many email providers have an attachment file size limit to consider.

not sure why I needed CEP2.0 which I don't have or Jet Audio which I now
DO have. cubase had the bells and whistles I needed. just had to fumble around in the dark for awhile till I suss'd it out :)

Back