ATTN: SJOKO2... or anyone else.

RSMITH123

You mentioned a couple of weeks ago about D&R consoles being used in Europe quite a bit. Do you think the micpre's are good enough to knock down the number of pre's a studio needs? In otherwords, using 30-40 D&R pre's and a couple of U.A. or Manleys?

Thanks

Robert

RSMITH123 said:
You mentioned a couple of weeks ago about D&R consoles being used in Europe quite a bit. Do you think the micpre's are good enough to knock down the number of pre's a studio needs? In otherwords, using 30-40 D&R pre's and a couple of U.A. or Manleys?

Thanks

Robert

Holy Shit!!! That's amazing!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

You record with 30-40 mics at one time???? What are you recording, close-mic'ed symphony orchestras?

Your mic closet alone must be the size of my whole studio! Give us a thrill - more details, please!:D

Little Dog,
I haven't built my closet yet (or stocked it), but I am hoping to be prepared for just about anything.

Sjoko2,
You sure seem to like D&R. What would you compare the sound to, if anything? I did hear someone once say that D&R spec'd out in the range of an SSL. Just seems hard to believe for the price.

you could compare them to SSL. I'd rather compare them to a good Trident without noise. (this as I am definately NOT an SSL fan). The D & R Octagon, in particular, will compete very favorably with the top products from Neve and AMEK.
They are extremely well designed and manufactured, using high class components. Everything works the way it should work and sounds sweet.
In addition their automation is good, accurate and reliable as well.
To be honest, I have not got anything bad to say about them.
You might see why if you check out some of their specs on their website.

Hey Sjoko,
you've been away for some time, haven't you?

Anyway, have you tried the D&R Dayner? If so, how do you think it compares to the models you are mentioning?

Cheers
/Henrik

No, but I believe he has ears as well.

The first time I "met" a manley gold mic I thought "oh look, that's one of those everyone raves about"., so I decided to use it.
I tried it and thought "what a shame, its broken".
Then a couple of months later I was in another studio where they had 2 of them, so I decided this was my chance to use at least one good one.
Then I found out they SOUND like that. Jezus Christ!!!!!!!!! What a horrible piece of junk!!
I also tested some other pieces of Manley gear .... had a good look inside..... overpriced, at best average sounding junk.

From the systems you are considering I assume you are planning to do some multi-format mixing or post production?

While D & R is a company growing steadily and gaining a better and better rep. Neotek is one that has stumbled from one problem to another. As far as I know they were in trouble and sold to MartinSound a few years back, then MartinSound found them to be a commercial flop and basically sold the name to Sytec (I think), who used to (don't know if they still do) maintain and re condition them.

The reason I asked if you were going to do post or m-format:
This is a growing market, and growing markets are subject to constant technical change, which would push my decission towards a new product from a good manufacturer.

The next thing is that Neotek as such no longer exists. This leads to expensive maintenance. Some of their consoles sounded pretty good, but its not in the same league as some of the bigger names.

Therefore, if it was my money, I'd go for a D & R, and you would not regret it.

I really appreciate the response. Thanks.

It is not my intention to ask for an opinion based on limited info, I just didn't want to unload a bunch of irrelevant info. If it will help and if you are interested, this is my predicament.

I am going to set up a studio for Audio and for video work. I believe I am going to be expected to do some live video to satellite and editing, I belive would be considered post. (In video, I am a newbie but a quick study)

When the funding comes through, which should be in the next couple or few weeks, the budget will be good but not extravagant. I am a musician, writer and done some engineering and production.

Due to my lack of extensive experience, I am torn in a couple of places in considerations for purchases.

1. Protools HD or Nuendo/Apogee? I hear a lot both ways on what sounds better, although Apogee gets more votes.

Another intertwined issue is the question of "Will both apps sync up well for doing video?" Bob Clearmountain seems to think that Nuendo does well on Mac but not on PC. Maybe Nuendo 2 will be out soon enough and solve the problem. Nuendo/Apogee would allow me to get more bang for the buck. But, Protools is industry standard.

Bottom line, I am looking for the best sound as long as I can maintain the necessary features.

2. I am hoping to mix out of the box and was considering getting a console with 48 channels for mixing.

Another consideration here is having a board with good pre's as to eliminate the amount of outboard pre's purchased.

Yet, another issue is will the board do well in post and will I be able to manipulate it into 5.1 if it is not compatible out of the box.

I want to do better that Mackie/Allen-Heath/Souncraft but don't think I will be able to jump into a Neve/SSL.

Care to comment?

Thanks to Sjoko2 and anyone.

Robert

That warents a very easy answer.
As you already stated, Pro Tools is the industry standard - and this means people can move to different facilities for different things, which means more work for any facility equipped with pro tools.
Go to the majority of post facilities in the LA area and what wil you find? pro tools - simple. All fitted with ProControl with the editing pack, complete with joysticks for surround etc.
The new PC HD system is good, don't buy the digi clock its crap, use a Lucid SSG192 instead, like the vast majority of rental companies and multi-room facilities do.

If you are serious about earning money in this business, PT is the only way to go. Another point, don't buy a console for the pres - you're better off having a selection of outboard pres. Unless you have a Neve, Trident or API, clients are likely to come in and say "I wanna XXX". Normally 2 8 ch pres are sufficient, if you need more you can hire some per session, save up and buy some later ....... but at least you can offer your clients choice.

Many people will say Nintendo/ Apogee blah blah blah. You'll see a lot of adverts with industry pro's advocating the systems. No wonder, they were all given the systems in return. Second, look close and you'll see many of them are on one page using this.........and on another using something else.......

If I think of my business purely as a business, I have 2 options. Pro Tools or high-end analogue. The only other choice for me would be Stagetec, but then that choice would be based on attracting clients purely on my reputation - and there are other engineers here who need to attract work as well.

I hope that helps. In the case you outlined going with the industry standard is the best route to a successful business.

sjoko2 said:
No, but I believe he has ears as well.

The first time I "met" a manley gold mic I thought "oh look, that's one of those everyone raves about"., so I decided to use it.
I tried it and thought "what a shame, its broken".
Then a couple of months later I was in another studio where they had 2 of them, so I decided this was my chance to use at least one good one.
Then I found out they SOUND like that. Jezus Christ!!!!!!!!! What a horrible piece of junk!!
I also tested some other pieces of Manley gear .... had a good look inside..... overpriced, at best average sounding junk.

I disagree with everything you state here, a lot of the Manley stuff is GREAT (Massive Passive, Vari-Mu...) and the Gold mic is stunning! Your comments are misleading as most engineers will disagree with you. Here`s what George Massenburg say`s:
(from EQMAG forum)

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Ted Nightshade:
Hi George,
You mentioned a while back you had been using the Manley Gold Reference mic. I was curious what you had found to be the best preamps for use with that, as far as you can say such a thing. Things like piano, jazz drums, voice.
Of course a GML came to mind, then it occurred to me to ask you what you personally preferred- hope that's not too awkward for you politically.
Thanks!
Ted
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Politically, I always stay away from recommending my own stuff. But since you asked...I used a Manley Gold into a GML pre on girl vocals for the Little Big Town record and it was a spectacular combination.

Don't know about other sources, & YMMV.

George

--------------------
George Massenburg

And here is alittle more : http://www.manleylabs.com/word_refgold.html

Of cause everyone is entitled to their own opinions - mine are that a lot of Manley products, the gold mics in particular, are overpriced and overrated crap.
Not misleading - my opinion. I have tried them and found them to be rubbish, I simply cannot find a better word. Also, I really do not care what anyone else says, no matter who they are. If George likes them, that's his business.
However - I prefer to state my own experience, not someone elses opinion, and I do so with the benefit of having a very good high end microphone collection to work with. A Manley Gold would be completely out of place here.
A lot of people buy stuff on hearsay and what they read. OK - you like some Manley products. Good for you. It would be interesting to see what you compared them against.;)

sjoko2 said:
Of cause everyone is entitled to their own opinions - mine are that a lot of Manley products, the gold mics in particular, are overpriced and overrated crap.
Not misleading - my opinion. I have tried them and found them to be rubbish, I simply cannot find a better word. Also, I really do not care what anyone else says, no matter who they are. If George likes them, that's his business.
However - I prefer to state my own experience, not someone elses opinion, and I do so with the benefit of having a very good high end microphone collection to work with. A Manley Gold would be completely out of place here.
A lot of people buy stuff on hearsay and what they read. OK - you like some Manley products. Good for you. It would be interesting to see what you compared them against.;)

I used the Manley stuff with a SSL 4k G+
Some Api 225l`s compressors and a UA LA2A
The Manley Gold was compared to a Sony C800G
I liked what I heard.....(both)

The reason I used George`s and
3d Audio`s comments are simple. I trust their opinions, have the same tastes in sound(apparently)

Of course, everybody is entitled to their own opinions, but calling Manley "overrated crap" is disrespectful to EvaAnna Manley and her efforts to make good, solid equipment.

What do you like?

Amund

Back