attention studio owners

Devilfire

like many engineers/producers , ive decided to open my own recording studio (not a home setup)

what i need to know are the pros and cons of that side of the business ...please feel free to share anything that might be useful

thank you

Pros: Its a fun business at times and you get to do your own thing. If you love the music you are doing, then great.

Cons:
You'll hate 1/2 the music that comes your way.
The equipment will cost as much as your house or more.
You get to work with some fucked up people.
Disrespectful musicians will piss all over your bathroom and stop up the toilet and have blowouts all over the wall, spill shit on the floor, screw thier girlfriends in places you dont want them screwing, leave thier grabage everywhere, and knock over equipment and rip cords out of headphones. Daily.
Your shit will get stolen and you'll notice it too late to be sure which band took it.
A "real" mixer will cost you over $20,000, probably over $80,000
If you rent or buy a building, there is at least $500 a month, and or $100,000+ right there to recoup from the start
parking, you need good parking
your primary working time will be late into the weekend hours
you gotta know what you are doing BEFORE you start
You have to be good enough and cheap enough to take business from the rest of the studios in town. If you arent, you wont.
It helps a lot to be a musician and understand what it is these guys are doing and going for. Probably my best asset in the biz.

:)

You better have a solid business plan detailing your intended market and who your clients will be. They won't come just by you opening your doors.....

You will need to spend money advertising and getting your name out there and especially while you are in the "business-building" phase, you better have enough cash reserves to cover the lean months.

You should only get into it if it's what you LOVE to do and can't see yourself doing anything else... otherwise you'll never make it.

Devilfire said:
like many engineers/producers , ive decided to open my own recording studio (not a home setup)

what i need to know are the pros and cons of that side of the business ...please feel free to share anything that might be useful

thank you

Owning and running a recording studio as a business can be a daunting task, but its very doable if you look at it two ways:

1. Every morning you wake up, you are unemployed until you do something relating to your business.

2. You must run your recording studio as a business, at all times, not as a place for your friends to hang out.

Scope out your competition.

How many "real" recording studios are geographically convienent to your location?

What do they charge for mastering, recording, mixing, duplication?

Do you intend to sell "convienent items" like guitar strings, picks, drum keys, drumsticks, sax reeds, etc. I would recommend that you do, because invariably someone will forget something, and its better to sell a sax reed for $5 than to have the entire studio sitting around (staff and customer) while the guy drives home and back. Your customer will not want to pay for "dead time" even though they should since they were unprepared.

I'll post more as I have time, I caught this message while passing through to measure an engine really quick :D

In addition to Blue and Tube I think that you should have a existing client base in addition to the business plan. Having potential clients doesn't say as much as list of past clients.

If you haven't been working in another facility as a professional or in a home studio with a certain amount of income on a regular basis getting money from the bank isn't easy. Most small business loans start at the $50,000 mark and go up. Remember the bank looks at you as an investment return. If you can't pay the bills and go bankrupt in under 5 years you'll be worse off than when you started.

Its best to build up to the point where having the studio outside of the home is a business expansion rather than a startup. Resumes are important.

SoMm

Back