Attention EV-RE20 fans

Nez,

I wrote to Mr. Dumond last month asking him if he'd be willing to write an updated review of his favorite microphones, since this article is now more than 3 years old. Maybe if you and a few others here asked as well, he'd respond. :-)

Even so -- and I haven't found a listing for the Peavey PVM 520i anywhere, leading me to believe it's no longer produced -- the list is still quite useful and affirming, both of my own limited experience with microphones and of all that I've read here.

The Electro-Voice RE20 is a great dynamic microphone. Designed for radio broadcast use primarily, it is made of *steel* (not brass) and deserves its reputation for indestructibility as well as quality. It works well for *some* singers, but with others its built-in "bump" gives the upper range a too-dissimilar quality for my tastes.

The lore in the broadcast industry about the RE20 goes something like this. Producer asks, "Which mics would you want to save if you were locked in the building during a fire?" Reporter responds, "Just an RE20. I could beat down the door with it and still use it to report live from the parking lot."

Considering the vulnerability of condenser mics to wind damage (especially large-diaphragm condensers), having a large, heavy-duty dynamic like the RE20 on hand is a good thing.

By the way, for those who want to save an average of $50 on a used RE 20 (according to PrePal.com), most people apparently don't realize that the PL20 is exactly the same mic but branded for sale in Canada. Currently, a used RE20 fetches about $325, while a used PL20 only gets about $275.

The best *new* price for an RE20 is from BSW (Broadcast Supply Worldwide), since they buy them by the gross. The RE 20 lists for about $800, regularly sells at discount anywhere else for about $430, but BSW stocks it for $369 plus (tax) and shipping.

http://www.bswonline.com/public/

Best wishes,

Mark H.

thanks for the tip!

Yeah I remember the first time I saw an engineer whip one of those out (ugh)

If I remember correctly he had to place it on a pillow inside the kick drum cuz the mic was to heavy for a boom stand. Made my crappy kick sound pretty good too as I remember it....

nP

Casters eh?

Mark H. said:
That's the one, Nez. The RE20 is one reason I'm looking at the Quiklok A-50 mic stand from Riksmusic in Nashville. My little whatever-brand short mic stand and boom just about falls over when I mount the E-V.

http://www.riksmusic.com/frameset.html

Best wishes,

Mark H.

Nice mic stand, do the wheels lock? (hehe)

Solid Steel legs, man that thing would have to roll cuz otherwise we'd all throw our backs out trying to lift it. It would be coould if they made a low boom as well.

I hope they give you a deal on the price though, $149 is almost another V67.

nP

I will have to say the peavey does sound pretty good on kick. But I would never
get one for live use or the studio just for the fact that it is made like crap.
All plastic and has to be handled with kid gloves. Built to cheap for me.

Back