Attention anyone using ATI video cards with SONAR or Cakewalk

RWhite

I just wanted to let everyone here know about a compatibility problem between SONAR / Cakewalk and certain ATI video cards. A thread explaining it all and with links to a work around is over at Cakewalk's SONAR forum:

http://www.cakewalk.com/forum/tm.asp?m=73110

In short, some ATI cards - including the All-In-Wonder - use a WDM audio driver which if enabled prevents the SONAR program from running.

The work around (which I have yet to test) is to disable the driver whenever you are going to run SONAR, and then re-enable it afterward (if you wish to use your ATI cards full capabilities).

I had formerly a similar problem with an ATI audio driver conflicting with my Audiophile 2496 card, but when I upgraded from an All-In-Wonder 7500 to a 9000 model (and downloaded new drivers) that particular problem went away.

And while I'm pissed at ATI, I should say that right now SONAR seems to be the only program having a problem - all my other audio programs are working fine.

RWhite said:

And while I'm pissed at ATI, I should say that right now SONAR seems to be the only program having a problem - all my other audio programs are working fine.

Well, what other programs that you are running use WDM drivers to their full potential like Sonar?

You can't blame Cakewalk for ATI writing bad drivers for their hardware.

As I said in my post there, I can't know who is to blame - ATI or Cakewalk - but I can bet with 100% certainty that each company will blame the other.

And apparently if you are using SONAR 3, the upgrade to 3.1.1 fixes the problem. So regardless of the problems source, it was able to be fixed in SONARs code.

The problem only occurs with ATI cards with video input of any sort, though. Actually, if you disable the WDM Audio part of the ATI WDM driver set needed for the all in wonders and stuff, you can still do pretty much all the things you can with the car, including TV watching, video capture, and TiVo type stuff...the only thing youc an't do is pass encoded digital audio streams over the coax digital found on some of the All in Wonders...and if your particular card doesn't have that, you can disable it while not removing any of your hardware functionality.

I've always liked ATI, honestly. I don't think I can blame them for their card drivers doing funky stuff with music sequencers...

And cool about it being fixed in 3.1.1...did not notice that...

Unfortunately that is not correct. If I disable the ATI audio driver, the TV module does not function at all - no video - which is exactly what ATI warns.

However it's not that big a deal to switch it on and off, I dont need to be watching the new while I'm mixing. :p

I thougth this applied to All-in-Wonder cards only. :confused:

I have a RADEON 7500 and I don't even have that WDM-driver under Sound-devices.

Back