Attempts at Mix/Mastering

Coozle

I've recently started recording tracks as a rapper from my home studio. I get good quality vocals, I used Adobe Audition to mix and master my vocals and the instrumentals but it won't just blend it. Sounds terrible.

I'm frustrated. I was wondering if anyone one of yall can mix/master a few tracks for me professionally. Or if yall know a trusted site that would produce good results?

Thanks

I know a good mastering place...

But if you're trying to mix vocal tracks on "pre-crushed" backing tracks, you're already up against a wall.

Precrushed tracks? Sorry can you pls explain

Are the backing tracks you are spittin on already mastered? I bet they are. Likely as loud as possible. I bet when you place them in your DAW they are already peaking your master bus. Even MP3 format.

You are left to damage control when using pre 'crushed' beats. Better finding beats from someone reputable that doesn't do that, or create your own.

I am not being a dick. I work with a couple HH/Rap guys. They know better, and they do not know anything about recording.

Post links please. We are only giving vague advice to vague information.

:)

Are the backing tracks you are spittin on already mastered?
Just throwing semantics and what not (to hopefully nip future confusion in the bud) -- I tend to say "pre-crushed" in this case as I wouldn't call it "mastering" - It's "ramming it into a limiter to make it loud." And (hopefully everyone isn't tiring of this part) although the "loud" part should ideally happen during the mastering phase, "loud" doesn't necessarily equal "mastered" in many situations.

Just trying to save the definition from the same fate as "producer" and things like that. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Just throwing semantics and what not (to hopefully nip future confusion in the bud) -- I tend to say "pre-crushed" in this case as I wouldn't call it "mastering" - It's "ramming it into a limiter to make it loud." And (hopefully everyone isn't tiring of this part) although the "loud" part should ideally happen during the mastering phase, "loud" doesn't necessarily equal "mastered" in many situations.

Just trying to save the definition from the same fate as "producer" and things like that. :D

Good point. My bad. 'pre-crushed' is much more appropriate.

Ya see, Jimmy. There ya go again, hittin' EDIT POST when it should REPLY WITH QUOTES. :D

Dammit! I need a Redbull.... LMAO!

Last edited by a moderator:

Good point. My bad. 'pre-crushed' is much more appropriate.

Ya see, Jimmy. There ya go again, hittin' EDIT POST when it should REPLY WITH QUOTES. :D

Dammit! I need a Redbull.... LMAO!
The big danger of mod-dom. Why do they put those buttons so damn close together? How many times have I nearly nuked somebody else's post?

Edit - And OP, I'll gladly take your money. You'll get much more out of it in the long run if you learn to do it yourself. You're not likely gonna get a Grammy either way.

Thanks for the info guys.

But lets say the instrumentals I have are not precrushed. They're like beats used by famous artists already. Can I still find a way to blend in my vocals?

Thanks for the info guys.

But lets say the instrumentals I have are not precrushed. They're like beats used by famous artists already. Can I still find a way to blend in my vocals?

Yeah man, you just need to spend time finding out what works. A big part of it is likely the mic and room you are recording in. If it were easy there wouldn't be a forum to talk about it.

Send me the tracks and I will see if I can give you some more detailed advice. PM me for email address

Yeah man, you just need to spend time finding out what works. A big part of it is likely the mic and room you are recording in. If it were easy there wouldn't be a forum to talk about it.

Send me the tracks and I will see if I can give you some more detailed advice. PM me for email address

Thanks alot bro, I actually deleted my vocals caise I was so frustrated. When I record em again this week, I'll hit you up.

Thanks alot bro, I actually deleted my vocals caise I was so frustrated. When I record em again this week, I'll hit you up.

I can try my skills with it as well if you fancy. I'm new in here but i know a bit about the stuff. I study sound engineering and music technology in The Academy of Sound in Dublin (the best college in Ireland and UK). PM me if you are interested.

I all ways listen to backing Tracks when I first get them. Are they ok. Too bright. Thin sounding. Big Fat and muddy. Usually They are fine,but maybe need a touch of highs,and or lows or nothing. After a few playbacks I will forget what my first impression was. After that I would record The vocals my normal way. Sometimes a bit of reverb on the voice blends it with the Track.

Back