Attack & Decay of notes

Tileeba

Can you adjust the attack & decay of different MIDI notes inside of cakewalk/sonar or do you have to do that in the synth?

Sonar has no such functions. That must be done via the synth or a computer based patch editor/librarian. There are some good ones out there, and they usually have a much better interface than the LCD window on the typical synth. UniSyn is one, and I'm sure there are lots of others. Sometimes you can even get them for free. Check out www.synthzone.com.

got mojo?
www.voodoovibe.com

I've got (sort of) the same question. I'm an ebay using fool and got the Alesis NanoSynth from there. I also use SONAR 2.2XL,a Boss DR-5 (Drum Machine) and I the Unisyn software. What is the chain of my hookup if I want the SONAR to play my midi notes but be able to edit them in the UNISYN software. I'm using a joystick adapter for my soundcard. So....how do I go out of the SONAR into the NanoSynth if the NAnoSynth has to go in and out to the soundcard. Or si ther something I'm missing?

Clear as mud, huh?

thanks everyone/anyone

Both SONAR and UniSyn ( and any other computer based MIDI program, for that matter) will access your Nano via the MIDI adapter you have plugged into your joystick slot.

If you have other MIDI devices you want to use (like your drum machine), you either have to get a MIDI card or interface with several MIDI ins and outs, or you have to daisy-chain all your devices via their "MIDI Through" jacks.

got mojo?
www.voodoovibe.com

Why don't you record them one by one, and make adjusment when all is transfered to audio tracks? It's alot beter option, I think...

;)
Jaymz

Thanks Aaron,

And please, forgive my ignorance on this if it sounds redundant or stupid. But can I “access” the Nano at the same time from both programs? What I’d like to do is this – Play a midi-file from Sonar into the Nano BUT at the same time be able to use the Unisyn to edit the Nano patches. When I play back the midi files now from Sonar into the Nano (without any “editing”), they sound clipped, no decay and the attack that was there when I created them (using the drum machine) isn’t there anymore. Maybe when I record them as midi files into Sonar there’s something else I need to be adjusting in my settings to catch this?

Once again Aaron (and anyone else that can help) thanks for your patience.

Hi Jaymz (I just saw your post – thanks). Even if I do this, I record each midi track in Sonar and then send the midi out to the Nano Synth and the audio signal back into Sonar to an audio track. But where in that chain does the UniSyn come into play so that I can edit the actual sound I’m recording? The Unisyn needs to have it’s midi in AND midi out going to the NanoSynth, so then how do I get the Sonar’s midi out into the NanoSynth?

Thanks again

Back