Athlon vs. Pentium 3

omnipotent

Athlon are now supposedly leading the PC market with cheaper prices and faster processors, due to new micro tecnology.

Any thoghts/suggestions? has anyone used both? which is better? is their any incompatibility problems with athlon and sound software/hardware?

omnipotent

Hello omnipotent,
You should try a search for athlon in this bbs and you'll probably find some good info on them. I was thinking of the same thing a few months ago and stayed with a P-III because it seems that the soundcards that I was interested in at the time were only tested on P-III processors. I would email the companies and ask them if an athlon would work with their product and they would reply back saying that its better to use P-III because they have never tested their soundcards on an athlon. Maybe someday they will, but I didn't want to be the tester.
Good luck.
bobbo

Somebody must have tested the athlon chip, there new 850 is faster, cheaper, runs cooler due to there micro processing and they claim to be as compatible as P3.
It's so tempting. Is it worth taking the risk? and if it isn't as compatible as P3 the would they accept it back?

Stick with Intel -- it's safer! I found out
the hard way after buying an Aardvark DirectPro 24/96 and an Athlon system. Since
the assholes at Aardvark didn't mention it
on their website, I found out when I called
their tech support line that the Aardvark cards (and most other high-end cards) are not
compatible with the Athlon chipset. So, I
had to waste a bunch of money on shipping the
Athlon system back and getting a PIII system.

If you're just running MSOffice and playing
games, the Athlon would probably be fine, but
for any serious audio/video work, Intel is the standard.

Well i will be using a layla 24, i just sent them an email to see, but i think i may go with intel anyway, thanx to your help, also if they do bring out a new motherboard what is the possibility that that wouldn't support my layla?

omnipotent

laylas ginas and darlas will not work! with athlon. It says so in the instruction book(if you bother to read it) I built a 600mhz athlon system and it's fantastic but darla 24 would not work. period. Kept the athlon system and tossed the darla. gadgetlabs stuff works with athlon so pre orderded 4/96 with breakout box ($349) due to be shipped end of march. Anybody wanna buy a sound card?

Back