Athlon or Pentium?

Mike

I am about to purchase a new system. I was prepared to buy a Pentium lll, 550 mhz but was recently told the Athlon 550 would be more effecient. Any thoughts or suggestions?

The Athlon is nice, (faster than any current pentium system on the market), but for the most bang for your buck, the AMD k-6 III 400 is faster than a pentium 450 & is socket 7.

we need a ginny pig to test out the athlon for recording !! if anyone out there is recording with an athlon let us know how its working out..

on a side note , after intel and amd's most recent price cuts , the PIII 600 is now at $260 (where the PIII 500 was a week ago), and the Athlon 700 is at the same $260 ..

- eddie -

Birrman I have a AMD K-6 I was good to learn that itis better than the Pentium. What is socket 7?

Christ that is not true what so ever.

1) The K6-III is basically just a fattened K6-2 that runs at higher clock frequencies.

2) The K6 series of processors have an extremely weak FPU which is critical to running DX effects in your multitracking software.

3) Socket7 is nothing to brag about because it's now extinct. Your upgrade options from a K6 system are NIL.

4) You will find much less 3D Now! support in software and ESPECIALLY hardware than you will find support for Intel processors.

You will see a large improvement in efficiency by just moving from a K6 processor to a cheap(er) Celeron processor. I've been there in fact. Struggled with my lacking K6-2 400Mhz and finally moved to a Celeron 400....I can not tell you how much better it performs! And a celeron is definately a poor man's processor so it's not like I took a big plunge.

Now the K7 (Athlon) is an entirely different story. It actually lives up to its benchmarks and outperforms a PIII at similar clock rates.

BUT, you must be very careful in your motherboard selection, and also realize that there is no anticipated multi-processor support in the near future.

You go with a good Athlon system or a good PIII system and you'll probably be happy either way. Go with a K6 system and you're shooting yourself in the ass.

Slackmaster 2000

Back