Athlon DAW

glamslam

Hi all
Here are the specs for a DAW that I'm intending to build myself. I've never built a computer from scratch so any advice you pros could give would be much appreciated. I also need to know if every unit is compatible and if there will be any forseeable problems with this sort of kit. I intend to run Logic Gold on this system and my OS will be Windows 98 version 2. Also, have I missed any bits out????

AMD K7 1.4Ghz Thuderbird
ASUS A7V KT133 motherboard
256 (perhaps more) of SDRAM (133Mhz)
IBM Deskstar 60GXP 20 gig hard drive 7200rpm (plus an additional 10 gig hard drive which I'm using on my current computer)
Inwin Athlon Approved tower case with a 300w power supply
Matrox G450 (16 bit) graphics card
M- Audio audiophile soundcard
plus a TDK 16x10x40 CD writer and a 52 speed CD ROM drive

Thanks in advance!

Just a quick thought to add to the original post:
Is the ASUS A7M 266 DDR/SDRAM a better choice than the ASUS A7 V KT133?

IMHO - I would get a bigger hard drive dedicated to audio. I have 2 20gb drives and recording a demo for my band is eating up the space. I bought a removeable drive bay so I can swap HDD's for separate projects.
Good luck!:) :)

the only changes i would make to this setup are to change the mobo to an A7M266 and change the RAM to DDR... the amd chipset is far superior to both the VIA and ALI chipsets that asus also offers.... plus it supports DDR which provides faster memory access

glamslam,
I didn't mean to dilute you thread. It gets confusing who is responding to whom. Your original follow-up seems to have been confirmed by fire.is.real.
I'll take a look at that A7M 266 myself, but I still recommend anyone looking to build a DAW read the ProRec article. He addresses some of these issues (ie. SD vs. DDR).
http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/files/ryotbird1

Back