AT4050 vs MSH-1's

Gorty

I have a pair of matched MSH-1's and an AT4050. Early stages in my tracking with the AT4050 so far but on my acoustic instruments I am not impressed with the AT4050 yet. The AT4050 $600 AUD, the matched pair of MSH-1's $60 AUD.......THE WINNER SO FAR IS THE MSH-1's.

Go figure! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I have a pair of matched MSH-1's and an AT4050. Early stages in my tracking with the AT4050 so far but on my acoustic instruments I am not impressed with the AT4050 yet. The AT4050 $600 AUD, the matched pair of MSH-1's $60 AUD.......THE WINNER SO FAR IS THE MSH-1's.

Go figure! :mad: :mad: :mad:
yep gorty... i looked through my sent pms and on 12-2-07 i wrote to you:
"well, try out a pair of the naints [sic] before you do anything else... if you have a good acoustic guitar and are in a good sounding room, small dc's can be better. i'd try those out with your stock boss pres and see if you need to really add anything. "
:p

Maybe because the 4050 is most known for being good at vocals, not instruments.... Try the MSH-1 on vocals and... surprise, surprise, you'll find the AT4050 better. The right mic depends on what's in front of it.

Someone here posted clips recently of his acoustic with an AT4050 and it sounded damn good, I forgot who it was. I've also briefly used the AT4050 on acoustic and loved it. Maybe it's just not the right mic for your guitar?

Can't go wrong with a Naiant/good SDC though if your source/room sounds good.

yep gorty... i looked through my sent pms and on 12-2-07 i wrote to you:
"well, try out a pair of the naints [sic] before you do anything else... if you have a good acoustic guitar and are in a good sounding room, small dc's can be better. i'd try those out with your stock boss pres and see if you need to really add anything. "
:p

Correct koji. I am more than pleased with the MSH-1's. All these thumbs ups to the AT4050 must have some creedance. Like I said earlier to you koji, I think I need to try out the different positions etc of the AT4050.

Correct koji. I am more than pleased with the MSH-1's. All these thumbs ups to the AT4050 must have some creedance. Like I said earlier to you koji, I think I need to try out the different positions etc of the AT4050.

also try it at different distances from your amps when you rock out on your electrics. :D

Someone here posted clips recently of his acoustic with an AT4050 and it sounded damn good, I forgot who it was. I've also briefly used the AT4050 on acoustic and loved it. Maybe it's just not the right mic for your guitar?

Can't go wrong with a Naiant/good SDC though if your source/room sounds good.

I mentioned this before, I think it was chrisharris who captured some brilliant tone from his acoustic. :)
I am definitely hoping that I just need to give the AT4050 more of a work out before being to harsh in my premature???? review! :(

Maybe because the 4050 is most known for being good at vocals, not instruments.... Try the MSH-1 on vocals and... surprise, surprise, you'll find the AT4050 better. The right mic depends on what's in front of it.

Correctamundo! I was just fed so much praise and what have you over the AT4050 and it's abilities in front of an acoustic guitar from reputable references. I bought the mic with this purpose in mind....acoustic guitar!

I am determined to get what I want from this mic and my acoustic guitars! :mad:

Don't forget to try out the Naiant mics on you're mandolin-I really like how they record my mando!

Don't forget to try out the Naiant mics on you're mandolin-I really like how they record my mando!

That audio sample I sent you was the Naiant mics. The nylon acoustic and mandolin were both mic'd up with the MSH-1's.

I used to record my acoustic guitar with pair of C4s to two tracks and the results were somewhat acceptable dependent upon which model acoustic guitar I was recording at the time.

I discovered that the best results achieved were when I use an MXLV67 front and center. Less is more?

As you said, Gorty......go figure.

Err, whatever happened to matching the proper mic to the proper source? I have both the MSHs and a pair of 4050s... they both get used all the time, sound great... but just have different sources they shine on.

I was never too fond of the 4050 on my acoustic guitar and regularly opted for a pair of Naiants instead. This doesn't mean that the 4050 can't sound great on acoustic guitar (as others have already stated) and if I were you, Gorty, I wouldn't abandon it all together on acoustic guitar. Keep messing around with it, or maybe pair it with something else. In the end, the AT4050 is advertised as a mic that can sound good on a lot of sources, but after reading a lot of posts here and elsewhere, it doesn't seem to see that much action on acoustic guitars. Good luck!

Reading through this post it sounds like we're talking about a single 4050 vs a pair of MSH-1s? I know your point is that both of them cost less than a single 4050, and I'm glad you like them, but this isn't even apples to oranges, it's apples to orange. On a solo acoustic track, a stereo track from a pair of mediocre mics will sound better than a mono track from a high end mic to most people.

Reading through this post it sounds like we're talking about a single 4050 vs a pair of MSH-1s? I know your point is that both of them cost less than a single 4050, and I'm glad you like them, but this isn't even apples to oranges, it's apples to orange. On a solo acoustic track, a stereo track from a pair of mediocre mics will sound better than a mono track from a high end mic to most people.

I'm talking a mono track from the AT4050 and a mono track from one of the MSH-1's.

if I were you, Gorty, I wouldn't abandon it all together on acoustic guitar. Keep messing around with it, or maybe pair it with something else. In the end, the AT4050 is advertised as a mic that can sound good on a lot of sources, Good luck!

Don't worry, I aint gonna be giving up on the AT4050. I'm just a little disappointed at this stage. Thanx HeyHey.

Err, whatever happened to matching the proper mic to the proper source? I have both the MSHs and a pair of 4050s... they both get used all the time, sound great... but just have different sources they shine on.

Yes. I'm just chasing the results I have heard and led to believe I would get with the AT4050 and dammit, I am going to achieve that! :mad: :p :)

use all three -- naiants in xy about 5-6" back from the 14th fret, 4050 in figure 8 back about three feet, pointing generally between the soundhole and the neck. Put the naiants on a stereo track and the 4050 on a mono track. Mix to taste, possibly putting some light effects on the mono track.

Back