AT4050 for my Focusrite VM Pro

Yes. Definitely. For sure. Affirmative. Alright. Right on. Good choice. Absolutely, positively. Without a doubt. Great big thumbs up to that.

I have a K2 and like it very much. But the 4050 is also a great mic, depends on the sound you want. The K2 will give you more "color" and the 4050 will be cleaner. Both good mics for the money, just different sound. Depends on what you need.

I am looking for a clean uncolored sound for vocals and acoustic guitar. It seems as though the AT4050 might be the one.

allrics said:
I am looking for a good vocal mic within my budget of $500 to compliment my Focusrite Voicemaster Pro.
I am very interested in the AT4050. Is this a good match for my Preamp?
Thanks.

Good Match for what? Yes, the mic will be a good match for this pre-amp...................might sound like crap though, but, electrically they will match I can assure you.

He's saying that ANY microphone and ANY pre amp are a match. These two middle of the road guys should be good together but it depends greatly on the source, placement of the mic, eq, compression, mix, etc. etc. etc.

allrics said:
acorec, what are you saying? The mic sucks, the preamp sucks, they both suck? Elaborate man.

The 4050 (which I have) and the Focusright (which I have, also) are great units. Whether they will sound great together depends on your source/room and whether the pair works in the mix. I have gotten great sounds with this pair and not so great sounds. It really is the mix that will decide for you. There is no "great match" when talking about mic/pre-amp combos because of the diversity of the conditions that make a recording what it is. That is what sparks all the great debates around here. It sucks that you have to try things out for yourself, but that is the way it is. The one peice of advice I can tell you is that pretty much any good mic and pre-amp pair will be useful in many more situations than cheap mic and pre-amp combos. Big Kenny has nailed this one right.

If i could also ask for some advice with the mic to use for the voicemaster pro. I am currently using a Rode NTK, and it sound pretty good through the VM pro. For most applications i have had success with finding a great sound. The only application this combination has not worked so well for is female r & b style vocals. Can anyone recomend a good mic ( under 1500 ) That in their experience has had good results with female vocals or that style of vocals.

I also understand a lot of it is in the mix, and its also what your tastes are. But if someone could point me in the right direction, that would be much appreciated.

- Mike

I have not tried this personally but have heard positive things about the AT 4047 on female vocals.

Back