AT4040's for Overheads/Acoustic Guitar

zackformula

Has anyone used a pair of AT4040's for drum overheads? I have one now and am thinking of getting another for OH's and acoustic guitar. Or would I be better off getting some MXL603's, Oktavas or NT5's? I received some info on this in an eariler post. Just looking for some more opinions.

Thanks

I read somewhere that the single diaphragm LDC tend to be a bit more useful for 'distant' recording, such as a choir, and the dual diaphragm have better off-axis response for closer work. I've been doing a huge amount of reading these days, so can't remember where I saw it.

Keeping that in mind, a 2nd AT4040 sounds good to have, just for a pair. Harvey Gerst pointed out the opposing view for using LDC as overheads, as they are less accurate, and impose a different sound on the kit. YMMV depending on if that sound is desired or not desired.

I have a set of C4 for my overheads, and absolutely nothing in recording mileage compared to Harvey. For me, "safe" techniques will produce decent results as I build experience. My AT4040 was intended for voice, and is now complemented by an MXL V67M that I got from an HR member a few days ago.

I looked at the NT5, and really like their robust, physical build quality. Compared to the C4, the NT5 are single capsule, and tend to be more dark in the high end. I found the C4 to be a better value, overall.

The MXL603 review well, and appear to be a good choice for the absolute, rock bottom price range.

i havent tried a pair of 4040s for OHs.. but i tried one as a mono OH.. i was VERY impressed on how well it picked up the toms and snare... but the cymbals didnt sound as good as they did with sdcs...

if it were me id using sdcs for oh since they pick up the cymbals better.. and close mic the rest of the kit.. but i guess it all depends on what knida sound/ music u are going for... theres my 2 cents. - LBC

Back