AT4040 Recording

joshuarosschris

So I have an Audio Technica 4040 mic. I run windows 10 with Presonus Studio one, with the Yamaha MG10XU as my recording interface. When I did the Recording it sounded kinda hollow. It can be normal. But I am also curious to what the Pad (26db) and HPF (80hz) on the yamaha mg10xu recording interface are supposed to be used for.

And then there is a low cut button and pad switch on the mic. What applications are all these things designed for? Hoping for more assistance from this.

josh

The low cut button on the mic and HPF on the mixer are to cut out low frequencies, like mic stand rumbles. The pad switch is to lower sensitivity for when you are recording a very loud source, like a guitar amp turned up to 11.

If you're recorded vocal track sounds hollow, it is possible you are capturing a lot of the room. You need a good room to record in, one that doesn't sound 'boxy'. Or you need a completely dead space to record in, then add in ambience artificially later. I'm not saying that's what the problem is, but it is a good probablilty.

You should post a clip so we can hear what you're referring to.

Yep, check the orientation of the mic. Different mics have their switches/buttons on different sides, and it can be easy to get turned around. I usually put a small piece of yellow tape on the "good" side for visibility.

Back