AT3525 versus AT4033

Terry

Hey gang, I just got an AT3525 as my first condensor mic to be used mostly for vocals and acoustic guitar, etc. I got it because I heard good things about it and wanted to try it out. I use it in conjunction with an ART Tube MP and I like the sound of it pretty well so far. I could exchange it for something else, like a AT4033, which seems to be very popular with basically the same specs. Does anybody have an opinion in comparing these two? Most everything else is out of my price range. Thanks for any responses.

I have asked the same question. I record lots of acoustic guitar and vocals- as well as percussive stuff. The general concensus (and a gut feeling) is the AT4033. Though I've never used one, I'm getting ready to order. I'm getting the MP tube pre-amp too. What concerns me about the MP tube is how inexpensive it is. With all the other higher-end pre-amps out there, will it be a peice of crap? (relatively speaking of course)

The Tube MP is definitely not a piece of crap. I've used it on stuff with just an SM57 and it does do what it claims to do, which is give you tube sound in a small, inexpensive package. I'm sure somebody who only records in a "real" studio would pooh-pooh just about anything we "Home-y's" would use, but for home recording, it's a great value. The thing with the 3525 vs. the 4033, though, is how can $100 make that much a difference? If you look at the specs, they're nearly equal. Anybody out there got good enough ears to tell the difference? Or is it mainly a status thing like Yamaha NS10s?

I recently bought an ART Tube MP and an AT 3525 and I love them both.

I use this set up to record my Martin acoustic guitar and various vocals on my Mac (using Metro digital recording software).

What can I say? After years of recording in local studios in CO and SoCal, I found an inexpensive mic that blows me away every time I record with it!

The guitar is warm, transparent, wonderful! (My vocals are sucky, but I can't blame the mic for that... I can't sing!)

I'd say for the $$ you can't go wrong with the MP and 3525 combo.

Sure you can pay more, but unless you're outfitting a professional studio and recording big name clients, you are going to be completely satisfied with this set up.

Cool. Thanks for the review, G3BigRockAction. I do like it so far and I plan to do some serious recording with it very soon with a vocalist (I can't sing either!). I guess, ultimately, that my ears will be the final judge. Good to know I'm not alone in my choice of gear!

Anyone got any opinions on the AT3527? It seems it's even closer to *my* price-range, but if it's not worth it, compared to the AT3525, than I might as well be patient and save up or something.

~Dakota Goldsworth

Back