AT2020 vs Blue Spark

<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="http://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F42192461%3Fsecret_token%3Ds-0wqbg&show_artwork=true&secret_url=true"></iframe>

So this was done in half hour while the kiddo napped. 4 tracks. all 57 (knockoff). It was a joke, I even botched a couple of lyrics (sacrilege!!!??)

Anyway, Budget guitar, budget mic, budget pre's and a pop filter made from my wife's nylons ;-)

But it gives an idea of my dynamic range and tone /shrug

(if the embedded code didn't work, here is the link to the song on SC)

I heard your sample and I think most cheap condensers won't sound very good on your voice. You have a nice upper range and need a mic that can handle that. I own an akg c4000b which in my opinion is well balanced, some may say dark but I think it is not, it just isnt overly bright.

Why don't you try a ribbon? They are darker sounding and have heard very good results on strings (you mentioned you play cello). I haven't used a ribbon mic, but moresound has talked some good stuff about mxl r144, which fits your budget.

I have always thought that a 'darker' mic would be more appropriate for my voice (and my cello, I play gut strings, it's a dark instrument)

Funny you mention that MXL, I was looking at the 144 yesterday, and thinking hard about it. I'm afraid I might not have enough gain on my pre's though (listed at +55dB, but at over +50 or so it gets quite noisy I feel...)

Doesn't a ribbon "compress" things like vocals? I mean, doesn't it squeeze off a bandpass filter kind of thing? And I also hear things about the 144 having a head basket ring at around 400 hz which is a sweet spot in my voice (not quite that low, perhaps, but there is a rich zone around 500hz +/-)

If a ribbon is the way to go, I'm not afraid of ribbons in general, actually I like the idea and the warm smooth sound that comes out of them, but I'm worried that a cheap ribbon will be as shite as a cheap condenser or cheap dynamic with these cheap pre's (Focusrite interface pre's; scarlett 2i2)

Thoughts? The MXL is on sale at Amazon for like $75ish

Well someone posted an article here that showed how cheap ribbons where all basically the same 2 or 3 mics, they are all made in china and are just rebranded, so if there's something wrong about a ribbon mic in that price range it is possible that most other ribbons are going to have it. Talk to Moresound, he knows a lot about this stuff. He was the one who recommended 144 to me

Just AB/ed (and mixed, and fiddled) with my 2020 vs 57 and found the 57 to bring presence to the mix that was lacking with the 2020 alone (hard to set them up properly to record both at once though...)

2020 is lacking in presence to me, but also too bright and maybe thin. So looking for a thicker and smoother/sweeter sound.

Is there anything I can look at besides Tubes or Ribbons?

If you are still in the market for a mic, see if you can demo the AT 2035....It's the upgraded version of the AT 2020 and addresses all the issues you mention: It's thicker, creamier, with a smoother top end. It works well with most vocals & string instruments (and drums).

Arguably, the 'best value' all round condenser mic you can buy.

....and while I'm at it, if you want a cheap condenser for bringing a hint of 'sparkle & prescence' in the mix to acoustic guitar (and, I'd summise, most acoustic instruments) look at the SE X1.

Similarly it punches vocals through the mix....however, the SE X1 may not suit all voices (unlike the AT2035, which does tend to suit MOST peoples voices).

All imho. As always YMMV.

Last edited:
When I came on asking about the spark, I was actually thinking between the spark and the SEXI mics... But while cheap and budget, they are still more than I can afford at the moment.

And I'm not sure I need richer and creamier; I need rich and creamy. I think a ribbon should have been my first thought. I just don't have experience with them (most people don't!) so I went with what I found for super cheap, and I intend to keep it.

I am finding that if I double mic with a 2020 and a 57 I can get a richer sound. Placement is a challenge, but it sounds pretty good for super super cheap. (and then I also get a 57 for percussion and a 2020 for guitar/uke/etc)

Still think I need a ribbon for vocals and an AKG C214/414 for the cello...

If your budget is really tight, try an AKG D5. Better than a Shure SM58 (imho) and half the price. Suits most vocals & can be effectively used to mic acoustic instruments. About £55 (last time I looked). A real bargain.

If your budget is really tight, try an AKG D5. Better than a Shure SM58 (imho) and half the price. Suits most vocals & can be effectively used to mic acoustic instruments. About £55 (last time I looked). A real bargain.

Wow! The D5 is quite a bit more expensive nowadays....just shows what a bargain it was (AKG have obviously got wise to it).

However, DV247 have a D5 & mic stand bundle for £65 (they sell the mic on it's own for £69!...as do most music shops). That's excellent value, imho.

Good luck with your search.

EDIT: My apologies.....I see you're based in the states, so the pricing may differ.

Last edited:
If you are still in the market for a mic, see if you can demo the AT 2035....It's the upgraded version of the AT 2020 and addresses all the issues you mention: It's thicker, creamier, with a smoother top end. It works well with most vocals & string instruments (and drums).

Arguably, the 'best value' all round condenser mic you can buy.

to be accurate, the 2035 is a LDC, the 2020 is a SDC or arguably an MDC. they are very different mics imho and have different uses. for example, 2020 doesn't work so hot on vocals imho (although some sdcs do), and the 2035 DOES work on vocals.

anyhow, for ribbons, yes most are the same. there are short ribbon motor designs and long ribbon motor designs, you want long motor (1.8" or 2" ribbon for example).

apex 205, shinybox, certain mxls and so on all fit the bill fine.

oh by the way, I record classical cello and string quartet and my own classical violin work professionally using stock apex 205s very often. sometimes I used slightly modified apex 205s. but I rarely use anything other than apex 205s. they are something like $120 mics. amazing for classical strings, also great on brass, certain vocals, amazing on classical piano, and really nice on drum overheads for a warmer sound as well imho. So many uses. So much thicker low mids than most other mics in thsi price range. I paid big bucks (>$1000) to buy a lauten clarion which has a ribbon-like lower midrange but a condensor-like high frequency extension. Amazing mic. but for $120 I've bought MANY apex 205s over the years and use them all the time for professional recording of all styles of music.

I'm a producer, mix engineer, session player, arranger, and so on. I make money at this and have for a long long time. For me, if you want richness, you can't do better than the affordable long motor ribbon mics available these days. apex aren't the only ones, but they're easily available to me at local stores and cheap and typically reliable. sometimes you buy one that has a borked ribbon, but mostly they're very good at least in the store I buy from. They do have poor quality control though... so it's a minor gamble to buy one unless you can test it first to make sure it sounds good and doesn't make any strange noises when turned on it's side or anything.

by the way, from a fair bit of testing I have found that the cheaper smaller bodied apex 205 is somewhat better than the larger apex 210. same ribbon motor, ought to sound the same, but 210s ahve lots of body/grille ring and less high frequency output and really sound less good on vocals imho. nice looking due to sheer size, but not worth it imho. this is likely why most modded ribbons based on these mics use the smaller 205 variant rather than the larger and pricier 210 version.

Well someone posted an article here that showed how cheap ribbons where all basically the same 2 or 3 mics, they are all made in china and are just rebranded,

"Someone" paraphrased the article I wrote about ribbon mics - over four years ago:
Chinese ribbon microphone buyer's guide | recording hacks And yeah, I'm the guy who originally identified the problems with the Apex 210 style of mic - (poor ribbon corrugation style, ringing headbasket, inability to be shock mounted) way back in 2006 or so during the great "Tape Op group ribbon mic buy".

...so if there's something wrong about a ribbon mic in that price range it is possible that most other ribbons are going to have it...

No. The headbasket ringing in the MXL R44 / 144 is unique to that particular mic, which yes, does use one of the two most popular ribbon motor designs, but the headbasket ringing has nothing to do with the motor design - which I talk about in the article reference above.

You know, these forums (Gearlslutz, HomeRecording, RecordingReview etc) have really devolved into a cesspool of misinformation and uninformed hearsay with everyone seeming to chase the "best xyz under X dollars" by asking totally anonymous strangers, on an Internet forum no less, for their opinions.

Geez - when it comes to ribbon mics it comes down to the Apex 205 long ribbon style, the Nady RSM-5 "shorter ribbon" style and then the so-called next step up - the Cascade versions of those two mics, then Beyerdynamic, then Coles and AEA.

Oh, and to the OP's question regarding the 2020 vs the Blue Spark - Geez, why not buy both from Musician's Friend and hear for yourself what works for you and return one? Because you're just splitting hairs between a couple of slightly different sounding small diaphragm capsules.

Last edited:
The Apex 205 (or Alctron HRM8 or whatever else it's rebranded as) is great. i brought one with the intention of modding it but haven't as yet as i quite like the stock sound. i recorded some cello with it last week alongside an sE2200a and got a great sound. the apex sounded really.... well, "real", and the 2200a was pretty far back so had a nice clean cut to it that helped it sit in the mix.

i've also used it on a range of vocals and, although it doesn't work for everyone, where it does work it's outstanding. i paid £80 for one a couple of months ago and strongly recommend it. at the time i was torn between that and the MXL R114 which you've also mentioned and i ended up with apex (well, i've actually got the alctron one as apex don't seem to exist here in the UK) based on the stock sound between the two. sound on sound did a review of the MXLR144 a while back and posted the audio samples on line, so if you're not sure i suggest grabbing them and having a listen.

the only thing i will say it that it won't work on everything and i still pull out the sE2200a more than the ribbon, but for what you seem to want it for i'd go for it.

p.s i was really tempted by the spark when it first came out but for the price there's other mic's that do a lot more IMO

Back