AT2020, CADM177, or M-Audio Luna?

cactuseskimo

I'm going to be getting a vocal mic just to lay down preliminary recordings. After, everything is written, I'll be transferring to a studio, and re-doing the vox.

However, I'm still very picky about my tone, and want something as good as reasonably possible for around the $120.00 mark. I actually use to own a SP C1. I didn't really like it. The upper end sounded very metallic.

I have an upper-end baritone singing voice, and record mostly rock vox.

Suggestions?

Everything else being equal, of those three, I'd pick the M177 (and I did buy another one since the recent price drop).

CAD GXL 3000 mics are currently on sale for $70 at Musician's Friend.

Paj
8^)

cactuseskimo said:
. I actually use to own a SP C1. I didn't really like it. The upper end sounded very metallic.

Suggestions?

I used a Luna once, and it's definitely very different from the C1, doesn't have that over the top upper mid bump. Pretty smooth sounding, but to some it would lack pizzaz. Might be worth checking out for you.

It's hard when you got that budget. I think you'd probably want a dynamic mic. SM7 comes to mind. However, that's beyond your budget. Have you considered an SM58 or a Beta 58? You are putting down tracks to sort of demo things about before going to a studio. That's probably the best it'll get with your budget.

I've tried the at2020, compared it to a 177 and 179 for a full day recording session. Overall, I dug the 2020 more. Wasn't impressed with the cad's at all. The beta 58 blew them away, so I'd say, for the money, and what its capable of, a beta 58 would do the trick. Have you tried a B1, not C1?

I just reread your c1 post...if you don't like bright, you may actually like the cad series. The beta 58 gave me a bit of a sparkle, which i liked, but others may not. The at2020 was a nice flat response,sounded like my voice, but louder...I just found the cad's dulled out the signal and sounded, well...blah. Had to EQ the shit out of the cad, whereas with the 2020 and beta58, I kinda liked what I got.

What's cool is the AT4041 sp- It is the AT2020 packaged with the AT2021 pencil condenser for $149. Both are great (for the price) all purpose mics. Vocals, guitars, whatever. I just recorded a drum kit with 2 2021's as O/H, the 2 2020's out front, and an SM57 on the snare. WOW!
I've recorded vocals with the 2020 right behind a pop-filter, and the 2021 about a foot behind it. NICE!! Same thing with acoustic guitar and also on a Bass or Marshall cab. Very good mics for the price. Inexpensive, durable, and a decent sound.

cactuseskimo said:
However, I'm still very picky about my tone, and want something as good as reasonably possible for around the $120.00 mark. I actually use to own a SP C1. I didn't really like it. The upper end sounded very metallic.

I have an upper-end baritone singing voice, and record mostly rock vox.

You might try a ribbon or a tube condenser. The latter starts at just over double that price point and varies widely in sound, though, so make sure you listen before you buy. There are number of inexpensive ribbons that come in for under $120. For more on ribbons, have a look at some of the other threads in the forum, as there are at least a couple of ribbon mic threads on the front page right now.

Sal4001 said:
What's cool is the AT4041 sp- It is the AT2020 packaged with the AT2021 pencil condenser for $149. Both are great (for the price) all purpose mics. Vocals, guitars, whatever. I just recorded a drum kit with 2 2021's as O/H, the 2 2020's out front, and an SM57 on the snare. WOW!
I've recorded vocals with the 2020 right behind a pop-filter, and the 2021 about a foot behind it. NICE!! Same thing with acoustic guitar and also on a Bass or Marshall cab. Very good mics for the price. Inexpensive, durable, and a decent sound.

What's funny is that they're basically the same mic. The AT2020 isn't a large diaphragm condenser. It's a small/medium diameter capsule (16mm). Normally "large" is defined as having a diameter of an inch or more. The AT2021 has the same capsule as the AT2020, AFAIK. Same size, anyway. They might behave a bit differently due to differences in the housing, but....

I like the AT2020---don't get me wrong---but it strikes me as only a "fair" vocal mic. Overheads... that'd work pretty well. I use it for strings, personally.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I found a brand new MXL V67i (dual capsule, and improved electronics over the v67g) mic for $150.00 CAN up here in Canada. Seems like a good bet, so I'm going to go with it.

cactuseskimo said:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I found a brand new MXL V67i (dual capsule, and improved electronics over the v67g) mic for $150.00 CAN up here in Canada. Seems like a good bet, so I'm going to go with it.

I think that should work out for you, it's another mic that doesn't have those hyped, strident upper mids. Enjoy.

i own 2 at2020 mics and there so versitle. i love them. with a good. decent w/e pre amp, they shine. I use them for acustic guitar, vocals, and cymbal overheads, and they sound incredible for every one.

very little eq needed, and it picks up everything. Ive never used the other 2 mics so i cant really give pro's/con's compared to them all, but i definately would suggets the at 2020. and at musicansfriend they give you a free pair of headphones, so what could be better??

I have to admit the AT2020 is a very good all purpose mic. That one always seems to be out being used for one thing or the other. I think it lacks a little in the vocal department. But it is a better overall mic than my AT4040
which spends most of it's time in its case.

I guess a couple 57's, a AT2020, and a Neuman and you could rule the world :D

Back