AT Kit Packs

guitarfreak12

I can get a AT KP-Drums kit pack for $60. brand new, never used from a store that's closing. Is the kick drum mic in here worth getting for recording? I can use the others for live too.

I attached a pic of the freq resp.

Attachments

• kicktom_freq.jpg
    kicktom_freq.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 47
The audio technica kick/tom mics are not all that great in my experience. Especially for the bass drum. OK for toms, but not the best.
If it were me, I'd buy them for live use. They are pretty rugged and can fit in smaller places than a 57. Plus they're cheaper. Just not on the kick drum.

what about them on the kick isn't good? I bought them anyway, but I would like to know what is bad with them, I don't know much about kick drum recording anyway.

guitarfreak12 said:
what about them on the kick isn't good? I bought them anyway, but I would like to know what is bad with them, I don't know much about kick drum recording anyway.
Well, the thing I didn't like about it on the kick (I was skeptical to begin with), is that it had very little low-end to it as compared to a Beta52a or D112. I am more used to those mics. The AT Kick/Tom mic sounded better than a 57 on the kick. But still lacked the low end punch. It had a good amount of smack, but so much that it was boxy without much low frequencies.
Maybe with some EQ it would sound better?
For instance, compare the response below 100Hz, and then below 50Hz. The AT Kick/Tom really lacks. Also, I think the AT mics weren't as linear as a d112 or Beta52 at close mic SPLs.

Attachments

• d112_akg_doc.jpg
    d112_akg_doc.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 28
Back