At home "mastering" with Studio One?

wmalan

I'ma little intimidated to post in this section as a newb... But here goes.

I've been reading here and there that some use Studio One for mastering because of its project interface (not seen it). As a newb, I'm still learning to mix proper in Reaper. So, I'm not in a position to really ask questions about mastering yet. But for the do-it-yourselfers, do y'all just stay in your DAW you mixed on?

As long as you recognize that "mastering" is not proper mastering.....with that said, I too use Reaper for mixing, and I also use it for mastering as well.

For quick and nasty leveling I usually render out to. wav and head over to SoundForge. For the closest I get to real mastering I like to stay in Reaper for most of it, but I often still end up in SoundForge for the very final normalize, bit depth conversion, and dithering. It's mostly just habit, but I really like the way I can scan a track and have it tell me both Peak and RMS levels for the whole thing in the Normalize process, and it lets me set these very precisely - to within 1/100th db. I don't have anything even close in Reaper.

I'ma little intimidated to post in this section as a newb... But here goes.

I've been reading here and there that some use Studio One for mastering because of its project interface (not seen it). As a newb, I'm still learning to mix proper in Reaper. So, I'm not in a position to really ask questions about mastering yet. But for the do-it-yourselfers, do y'all just stay in your DAW you mixed on?

Yes, but I open a new project, import my mix and use my mastering plugins to create Mp3s and 16bit 44hz wave files for CD.

Yes, but I open a new project, import my mix and use my mastering plugins to create Mp3s and 16bit 44hz wave files for CD.

That's great info! Makes perfect since! Make a basic Reaper project "mastering" template . (Well mastering as I'm able to). :)

Back