AT 4050 Question!

P Stew

Alright. I just got a AT 4050 and i have a M Box 2 running Pro Tools LE. Im recording hip hop and rnb but when i record with the AT 4050 i have to turn the mic up on the M Box 2 alot and when i mix and compress the vocals you have to turn the vocals up to like +10 to hear it over the beat? Should my mic be on 0db or -10db. I have it on -10db because a friend of mine said it will stop peaking. Also the other options on the mic what should they be on? Thanks

Alright. I just got a AT 4050 and i have a M Box 2 running Pro Tools LE. Im recording hip hop and rnb but when i record with the AT 4050 i have to turn the mic up on the M Box 2 alot and when i mix and compress the vocals you have to turn the vocals up to like +10 to hear it over the beat? Should my mic be on 0db or -10db. I have it on -10db because a friend of mine said it will stop peaking. Also the other options on the mic what should they be on? Thanks

Turn the pad off (0db) and try again. The pad set at -10 will cut your signal and should only be used with very high db signals (like close drums etc.).

Yeah, do what...

...mci2424 said. Also be certain that the front of the mic (Says AT4050 and shows three patterns) is facing your sound source. I'm not trying to be a smart alec but you wouldn't be the first or last to record into the back side of the mic. Enjoy your 4050. It is a versatile mic. I have two of them and use them lots. Good luck.

also this might be a dumb question. But switch should the mic be on. The straight line? or the line that goes up then straightens out. or the other one?

thank you

also this might be a dumb question. But switch should the mic be on. The straight line? or the line that goes up then straightens out. or the other one?

thank you

That's the low end filter. Straight line equals "no filter", slope means "filter on" which filters out the low end. Try it each way and use what sounds better. The low cut filter is typically used to keep unwanted bass energy out of tracks that don't need it. It's typically used on anything other than bass and bass drum, and especially common on vocals and acoustic guitars.

Cheers,

Otto

Back