AT 4047 or Blue Baby Bottle..

ace516

i'm planning on purchasing a condenser which will be used exclusively for vocals and possibly as an overhead for drum ... possibly.

well i'm looking into an AudioTechnica 4047 or a Blue Baby Bottle. I want a microphone which will be versatile for many different types of vocals.

so which one should I get guys? :o

I like both of these microphones. The Baby Bottle needs a better room or an isolation booth to shine. The AT4047 seems more versatile. I've never used either one as an overhead.

The Baby Bottle shaves the low and high frequencies. I tend to like a mic with some high end extension as an overhead. The AT4047 will give you more top end than the Baby Bottle.

ozraves said:
I like both of these microphones. The Baby Bottle needs a better room or an isolation booth to shine. The AT4047 seems more versatile. I've never used either one as an overhead.

The Baby Bottle shaves the low and high frequencies. I tend to like a mic with some high end extension as an overhead. The AT4047 will give you more top end than the Baby Bottle.

Yup, on the nose, well said!

What Steven said about the Baby Bottle is dead on. My room isn't good and it lets you know big time. I own the Baby Bottle and would recommend the 4047

Im currently working on a CD compalition down here in FL. On the track I recorded at this dudes studio, he had one of those Baby Bottles set up in his isolation booth extremely padded with foam. I tell u man, that thing is so sensitive!!!! It can pick up your breathing, scratching your skin, and change or keys in your pocket. It was an awesome mic that we worked with. It worked perfect for what we were doing in which included rap and r&b vocals. If I would of known about the BB back then, I would of saved a few more hundred instead of going with the AT4040.

Don't get me wrong the AT4040 is a really nice mic, but it has no color.

I agree with the others on an isolation booth. Both the AT4040 and BB need an isolation booth to shine. Even my AT4040 records all the dynamics in my little 11x11 bedroom. I could only imagine on how much more could be heard with a BB.

With the BB, you cannot go wrong.

qb2k5 said:
Im currently working on a CD compalition down here in FL. On the track I recorded at this dudes studio, he had one of those Baby Bottles set up in his isolation booth extremely padded with foam. I tell u man, that thing is so sensitive!!!! It can pick up your breathing, scratching your skin, and change or keys in your pocket. It was an awesome mic that we worked with. It worked perfect for what we were doing in which included rap and r&b vocals. If I would of known about the BB back then, I would of saved a few more hundred instead of going with the AT4040.

Don't get me wrong the AT4040 is a really nice mic, but it has no color.

I agree with the others on an isolation booth. Both the AT4040 and BB need an isolation booth to shine. Even my AT4040 records all the dynamics in my little 11x11 bedroom. I could only imagine on how much more could be heard with a BB.

With the BB, you cannot go wrong.

Uh...yes you can, like I said I own a baby bottle, and to tell you the truth it sucks, real bad. Almost every singer I've recorded sounds better thru my groove tubes mic than the baby bottle. Not to mention not everyone's voice is the same therefore some people can go wrong with it. Opinions are opinions but I work with the mic every single day, and it disappoints every single day.

jonnyc said:
Uh...yes you can, like I said I own a baby bottle, and to tell you the truth it sucks, real bad. Almost every singer I've recorded sounds better thru my groove tubes mic than the baby bottle. Not to mention not everyone's voice is the same therefore some people can go wrong with it. Opinions are opinions but I work with the mic every single day, and it disappoints every single day.
Wierd. I own a few great mics (Soundelux, Neumann, Royer, Blue), and I think the Blue Baby Bottle is a pretty damn good mic. It won't work on everything/everyone, but there's hardly any mics that will. Keep in mind that there are supposedly 3 different versions of the BB mic.

BTW Jonnyc, what mic pre(s) are you using? I have a hard time believing that you have such a rough time with your BB unless it's damaged/defective, using a crappy mic pre, or user error (no offense meant).

I guess it's possible its defective, I've always thought about that. And as far as user error goes I've got well over 100 recordings of other bands under my belt so I think I'm getting that down pretty good. My pre's are so so. It mostly goes thru my Eureka. Also I did say my room is less than stellar and I have a sneaky feeling that the room may be the problem. The cheaper condensers probably mask more of the room sound.

I own a BB, and while it doesn't disappoint me, I can see how it would disappoint as an everyday mic. Truth is, it's a niche mic, and shouldn't be the first LDC purchase. Actually I don't think I've used mine lately :o but I ain't getting rid of it either :)

mshilarious said:
I own a BB, and while it doesn't disappoint me, I can see how it would disappoint as an everyday mic. Truth is, it's a niche mic, and shouldn't be the first LDC purchase. Actually I don't think I've used mine lately :o but I ain't getting rid of it either :)

exactly, it's not like it won't be used...... but i don't think any one would describe it as a "go to" mic.

mshilarious said:

Unfortunately I was one of those that made the baby bottle my first purchase, go to, mic. It's rarely made me like it. In fact sitting here, I can't think of the last time I thought it sounded good.

jonnyc said:
Unfortunately I was one of those that made the baby bottle my first purchase, go to, mic. It's rarely made me like it. In fact sitting here, I can't think of the last time I thought it sounded good.

I did the same thing. Never sounded good on vocals (ok one time on a rap song it sounded INCREDIBLE). But I have found somewhere that I like it as one of my goto choices.

Guitar cabs.

Yup. Place a 421 right on the grill in the center of the cone but facing the edge, and a baby bottle 3-4 feet away for ambience and "girth" and it sounds good.

I can gather a clip if needed.

Back