AT 3035 or Rode NT1?

Tonato17

Hi, I´m opening this thread, because after having waited for several
months, I am able to buy the equipment I need to start recording,
and I need advice on the following:

which one you recommend, if the AT 3035 or a Rode NT1, since they both are at
>almost the same price. I think the AT will be better for what i need (voices, guitars, basses and synths...) but since a lot of people recomend me the Rode i am really doubting it. So, what do you think??

Last, I have also been thinking about whether I should just buy a
used mic instead of a new one, this way I could get a better one,
like the AT 4045 or an AKG C 414 B ULS...I wanted to ask you if you
think it´s a good idea to get a used mic, and around what price will
I be able to find them. Is there any place in Miami where they sell
used equipment? Or if you know anyone interested in selling them,
please refer them to me!

Thanks and I am anxiously looking forward to your answer.

Warmest regards,

Toni

IMHO a smart way to go would be to get one or two multi-pattern condensers.

Then you'd have much more flexibility with different patterns.

Chris

Tonato17 said:
Hi, I´m opening this thread, because after having waited for several
months, I am able to buy the equipment I need to start recording,
and I need advice on the following:

which one you recommend, if the AT 3035 or a Rode NT1, since they both are at
>almost the same price. I think the AT will be better for what i need (voices, guitars, basses and synths...) but since a lot of people recomend me the Rode i am really doubting it. So, what do you think??

Last, I have also been thinking about whether I should just buy a
used mic instead of a new one, this way I could get a better one,
like the AT 4045 or an AKG C 414 B ULS...I wanted to ask you if you
think it´s a good idea to get a used mic, and around what price will
I be able to find them. Is there any place in Miami where they sell
used equipment? Or if you know anyone interested in selling them,
please refer them to me!

Thanks and I am anxiously looking forward to your answer.

Warmest regards,

Toni

The at3035 is good on most vocals, guitar cabs, havn't tried it on bass, not good on acoustic guitar. Don't know about NT1.

If you want to know about used prices do what everyone does and look at ebay - you can searh completed items there too.

Suffice to say if you're in the market for a $100 condenser you are not in the market for a C414 of any age or description, a broken one that probably needs a new capsule just sold for $191
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41466&item=3778907479&rd=1

if you can get c414 for cheap, go for it. it will serve you well. there shouldn't be anything wrong with buying used gear. i've never had a problem with it anyway. but, if you are just trying to decide between the AT3035 and the NT1, my vote goes to the AT3035.

Hi! Thanks a lot for your answers....really! So, between the rode nt1 and the at 3035 i decided to buy the AT.
Now, i would like to know how about the CAD m179. I had never heard about that mic. Is it good? better than the AT 3035?
Thanks a lot for your answers...

ps: i am looking for an Akg 414 C uls used, do you know someone who s selling it?

The M179 is a WAY more versatile mic than the AT3035 and the sound is great. Not a real dark or bright mic, pretty much damn good at anything you point it at.

War

I too vote for the CAD M179. I have four. I love them to death. When I do my ADR sessions tomorrow afternoon, those are going to be the first mics I pull out.

has any body had any trouble with phantom power on the CAD M179? I read something that they need alot more current than other condenser mics... Also has anyone tried using two different (but similar) mics in a stereo set up? were the results bad? I spose it kinda defeats the object if the mics are different at all.......

Back