Asus Xonar D2X: how can I record at 192Khz and 16 or 24 bits ?

Hello,

I would like to transfer some mono and 2-track master audio tapes in HD.
I have what seems to be a reputable sound card in my recent PC (Asus, i7, etc).
From what I read on the box, this card can record at 192KHz 16/24 bits.
However, I can't find a software which supports this resolution.
Is there a stable freeware or shareware which allows this ?

Thanks,

David

I don't know much about available shareware, but I can tell you that recording at 192 KHz is a waste of hard drive space. The best analog tape is equal to about 12 or 13 bits, so recording at more than 16 bits is equally wasteful. Any competent sound card can capture everything on your tapes with no degradation using the standard 44.1 KHz sample rate at 16 bits.

--Ethan

This is true concerning cassettes or low quality pre-recorded reels, but false with master taoes or copies of masters (which is what I have in most cases). I'm sure I could enjoy 44/16 with the "high quality" live concerts I recorded on the radio (I have a Kenwood KT-5020L tuner).
However, a friend of mine took a radio tape (that is, a live classical recording) and also recorded a 78rpm record on another tape.
To record his 78rpm, he used a Thoren TD-124 with a SME 3012 and Audiotechnica (AT3 or AT11 ot similar, can't recall), followed by a special tube preamp with accurate curves.
He then tried to digitize both tapes at 44/16 and 96/24: in both cases, the differences between 44/16 and 96/24 were blatant.
44/16 produces excellent sound of course, but there is a significant quality gain with higher rates. I always felt that 44/16 wasn't enough to accurately store high frequencies.
Another thing is that higher ADC rates should allow more accurate mods. For example I don't think I would get the same quality of some Eq / filtering between 44/16 and 96/24 files. Of course I could be wrong, but how do you want to accurately filter, Eq or perform calculations on some sound containing less (and insufficient IMO) high frequency information than at low/medium frequencies ?
I think the best test you can make with a tape is to use an alignment tape with 10KHz and 18KHz tones for example.
Digitize this at 44/16 and at 96/24 and compare the shapes. You'll be surprised.

He then tried to digitize both tapes at 44/16 and 96/24: in both cases, the differences between 44/16 and 96/24 were blatant.

Either he recorded incorrectly, or he compared improperly. 44/16 is audibly transparent, and audibly (and measurably) superior to any analog tape or phonograph record. The metrics for fidelity are frequency response, noise, distortion, and time-based errors (wow, flutter, jitter). Comparing sample rates and bit depths properly is not trivial! Whenever someone does a test as you describe and hears a "blatant" difference, it always turns out to be due to not matching levels, or some other failing of the test itself. If you lived closer to me I'd invite you over to demonstrate this in person. This article does good job of debunking the benefits of "high resolution" audio:

The Emperor's New Sample Rate

--Ethan

sounds like to me the OP hasn't "baught into the game". If your serious about it you should have the harware/software. if this is a "one time shot" I would suggest hiring a professional studio to do your digital transfer as they will have nice hardware to do so.

The results in digitizing analog signals will depend on how good the ADC is and how good the analog line stages in between.
Just because it has a high sampling rate doesn't mean it will record it "well".

but if your serious, and dont have $3000 to spend yet on the gear, I would suggest to you to get an E-mu card because it is better than most semi-pro interfaces for this application (because of the simple line stage) and you gain balanced I/O out of it. Wavelab Essentials 8 is the software I suggest to get your tape into cd delivery specifications. All of this will only set you back about $300.

Back