Asus P2b-f? Cpu? Stuff?

camn

Hey, guys. Anybody know what the fastest processor I can put in an ASUS P2B-F is?? I read 600+... but Im interested in how PLUS they mean...?

and any suggestions on the latest variation of piii to get... welcome. Or should I just o\c a celly, like usual?

xoox

Camn, why don't you get a PIII? They're decently cheap, nowadays.

Ah, fuckit. Remember the next house you pass with the big cow Gateway boxes on the front step. As we all know, this means "Please rob me."

Then again, I don't take you for the "I'll do what you tell me" type, lol...

(buyin' a new card, 'migo. thinkin' Digi001, used. how're you?)

:cool:

a piii would be fine...i remember a while back they weren't really outperforming celerons, though. This may have changed--Ive been out of hardware/geek/mode for a bit....but I really want to know what the fastest thing I can put in the old p2b-f is....

giaschel... what MB is yours in??

xoxo

pskh.. doin OK.. my percussionist just got a new pad with a big-assed basement. definately a plus.;)

I have an Asus TUSL2-C.

At the time your board came out, I don't think there was any processor close to 1000 Mhz. I saw the 600+ on their website. That's probably because they won't commit to anything higher.

I was curious and looked at some reviews of the P2B-F. They all date back to 1999. None I saw had tested them with faster processors.

You would need a reply from someone who's tried it.

Hey Camn, how's things in Seattle?

Well I am sitting at work right now reading the Mobo manual for the P2B-f (manual revision 1.03). Since until recently we have bought all ASUS boards I have quite the little pile of ASUS manuals. As you probably already know the fastest CPU listed for your mobo is a PIII 550, 100 bus. However, since the board supports a bus multiplier up to 8X, it SHOULD support up to a 800 mhz processor with no issues.

There is an option to kick up the CPU bus frequency to 133, which means you could theoreticly run a 1 G PIII, but the 440BX chipset isn't designed to run over 100 bus speed.

Any P3 chip you will find now will be a socket chip (flip-chip) so you will need a flip-chip to Socket A adaptor. I'm using one in a later model ASUS board and it works fine. If it were me, I would go out and get a P3 933 chip, they are good "bang-per-buck" among P3's right now. It will be capable of 133 bus speed even if your board is not. Start it out at 800, if all works well you can play with it and see how far you can push it. If the board gaks, you can then decide to either throttle back or pick up a newer board.

Let me know if you need the mobo jumper settings.

RW

RWhite is right. ASUS does not guarantee 133 bus speed on this board (which does not mean that it would not work). So, just take your nominal bus speed (100) times the highest multiplier - there is your max processor speed.

My favorite all-time hack of that sort was a guy who installed the cooling system from an old Datsun car into his computer. This was a few years ago, the whole thing was writen up in what is now called Maximum PC magazine. The cooling system was like 10 times the size of the computer.

Actually Camn, I don't know what kind of hard drive you are using but it might influence your purchase decision. If you have a newer hard drive you might just want to pick up a newer motherboard regardless. Your board supports the ATA-33 drives, the newer boards support ATA 66 or 100, which is a big help IF you have a newer hard drive.

I have old, 33 drives. I just want a new cpu...and EVERYONE READ my reason why....

My system is 100% dope.

Everything works with everything else.

but I could use more speed... Im running a celeron 366 (though god knows im not running it at 366!!). I figure introducing a different processor wond bollox my shit too much.

ahhhhh.. I feel free and happy.

xoox

ok, guys... riddle me this:

Why should I get a piii and run it @ 800mhz @100fsb..... when I can get a celeron and run it at 800 @100fsb... only for half as much?

Geeks--please reply. geek-speek/OK.

xoxo

A good question. My usual answer would be that Celeron's have only support a 66 bus speed, not 100 (although you can always over-clock). However I forgot that the new 850+ Celerons now support 100 bus. The cache scheme on a PIII is a bit faster than a Celeron, however if money is tight (hey isn't it always?) then sure go with a Celeron.

By the way, liked your CD. Your live performance sounded quite a bit different.

yeah... the studio is so different from the stage.

But our next cd should be more live-ish..?

xoxo

Well...

That isn't quite right. Although the Celeron is a Coppermine chip, Intel crippled it so it wouldn't compete with, at the time, the Pentium III.

A Pentium III at 800mhz has 256k of on-die L2 cache.

A Celeron at 800mhz has 128k of on-die L2 cache.

So the Pentium III will be faster in any application that is cache memory-intensive. But whether or not that translates into enough real world improvement to warrant the extra cost, I don't know.

Eurythmic, I believe you have it right. For most apps, and I image Recording software, there should not be much difference in speed. Although I think I remember reading somewhere that the Celeron actually reads its cache faster than the PIII. Regardless, the difference should not be that much.

Ironicly most benchmark utilitys are written to be quite small, so they DO run in cache and thus can give some unrealistic results. The more recent PC Bench tools take this into account.

Camn, what I meant about your live show vs. CD was that your live performance seemed quite a bit more free-form, almost jamming at times. Not better or worse, just different. Of course I was drinking Smirnoff Ices for quite awhile before you came on which might have warped my judgement somewhat ....

hehe, thats what I meant, too...

Ive also heard the celly outperformed p3 for audio... but my news is old news. If its still that way, I think Ill go for the velly... Ive had tons of fun with the one I have.... and If I kill it by overclocking it to 1100... I can always get another!

DO I need to worry about any voltage issues? some shclepp at the computer store said I did...??

xoxo

Sometimes raising the core voltage slightly is the only way to acheive an overclock. But if you're to that point, you're really going to need some heavy duty cooling, and would probably be better off buying a faster CPU.

Back